Author Topic: Firewall does not apply rules in "Ask" mode  (Read 15164 times)

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Firewall does not apply rules in "Ask" mode
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2020, 10:00:21 PM »
My uninstall tip was only meant for micsi who wanted to install the beta version but couldn't ... because the beta version (if uninstalling the normal version is done properly) solves the "ask" problem.
I've also reduced the quote (at noon) to make it clear what my board was directed to...
Hi all!

I just upgraded to Avast Premium, and faced the same issue. What I saw was, that with Avast installed, some programs lost connection to the internet. When I opened the application settings for the firewall, I tried to set the access policy to all connections for this app, but it was "automagically" reset it to internet out level. Other than that, the whole application rule page seemed to constantly refresh itself, rewriting the values to the initial for every application. For applications with no predefined rule, I tried to set the value to "ask", then it started asking me again and again, whether to allow this application internet connection, even though this definitely had a rule listed. I tried to reset the previous value to allow and to auto-decide, the pop up window kept appearing, even after I shut the firewall off. Restarting the machine, and reinstalling avast didn't help. I also installed the Beta version, that supposedly fixes this issue, but it still persists.

Hope it gets fixed soon, I have to uninstall avast until then.
I uninstalled the software, restarted the PC, and installed the beta version using that link. The only thing that changed is, that it said my device is not configured correctly, when scanning the Wifi connection. But it didn't give me any detail on that, and would not solve it by itself. I've got noe reponse when clicking on a device shown in the network by avast. I also tried restarting again, no luck.
At no time my advice was to solve the bug (known as you say) by re-installing the release version.
If I don't have other things to do in my life(although at the moment that's partly true  ;) )., I advise you to start learning to read what I say and who I say it to.
The forum that is not just for you will be better off.

You could have read, too:
While the beta has worked well for this particular bug ("ask" mode), avast should not spend too much time on further testing with the beta.
I remind you that it's already been 15 days since customers (who pay for a product that should have already been tested upstream with a beta version, and not the opposite) have been encountering this annoying problem for their security (the workaround in "auto decision" mode is not necessarily secure and that's not what we ask a firewall to do).
I'm already hearing the responses telling us to go to beta, but customers shouldn't have to do beta testing, otherwise there's no point in paying.

and in conclusion
The only proposed solution, to disable ask and accept everything is pretty much the same as turn off the firewall so not advised.
"auto decision" is not "allowed" (all)
Avast still has a little idea of what's right or wrong in the tons of returns to set the "auto decision" parameter (in addition, there's the "detail" popup that shows you the "auto decision" taken to keep an eye on it)... even if I repeat, this is not what the experienced user expects from a firewall and as I said before, 2 weeks seems like a long time to solve such a problem.

and after that, you dare to say that I only give negative opinions when it's pretty all the same as you think. >:(

« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 10:56:02 PM by chris.. »

Offline mmgonzo

« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2020, 03:24:12 AM »
To fix the constant "Ask" popups, I did have to uninstall completely AVAST Internet Security, using the AvastClear file; then I did a thorough CCleaner delete trash & cache fragments; then run the registry cleaner; reboot, download AIS, and reinstall.  Now working as it should.  But it took 3 hours to fix.  This seems to happen once a year to one of our pc's or laptops.  Hopefully the bug has been found and fixed soon.

Nothing is perfect; just part of our daily computerized world.   :'(

Offline Black_horse_88

« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »
For the love of God, just fix this silly problem it's driving me nuts!

I stopped playing games using VPN because every time my VPN connect or disconnect I have to go through Avast firewall interrogation.
My VPN won't connect till Avast cycle through each rule till reaching VPN rule and allows it.
Up to 5 min before I can get back to the game! This is ridiculous!

Last night I left my PC to auto shutdown after 1hr for a game to download, but my game didn't download, I wokeup my PC now and it had Avast collecting firewall messages asking about game launcher to download.
Till now, I've clicked allow for over 30 times for the same rule!

I tried moving the message away and ignoring it, but Avast would NOT let me connect to the internet till it cycle through rules and reach Chrome.exe to allow it, then I could finally access the internet and post this.

And Avast is still asking about Game launcher!!
I'll not set it to auto, I'll disable it and use Defender if I have to.
Please just release a minor update, or 10GB update I don't care as long this stupid problem is fixed!

Downloading beta, although I don't like using beta till fully proof tested but guess for now.
Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 11:14:06 AM by Black_horse_88 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2020, 11:08:01 AM »
It's fixed in the latest beta: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=15
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline lackschuh

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2020, 11:17:07 AM »
We have paid for this and we are no beta testers. If it is fixed so roll it our now.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 11:19:24 AM »
Downloading beta, although I don't like using beta till fully proof tested but guess for now.
Thank you.
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Black_horse_88

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 12:08:17 PM »
We have paid for this and we are no beta testers. If it is fixed so roll it our now.

Agree, beta sounds experimental and for the some like me, beta sounds untrustworthy.
I'm not even using my main email here.
I've read the beta logs and it seems they've working on fixing several problems altogether.
So let's be considerate and patient.
At least we're not being ignored, they heard the problem and reacted.

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2020, 12:51:57 PM »
That's kind of my idea of what's required of a customer support team. :-\
It's a bit like if one day a vaccine against COVID-19 will be found and approved by beta testers, that it's available for the whole population but we wait because that's not the day it's scheduled to be distributed.
Being able to define the rules of a firewall is not nothing from a security point of view.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »
It also has been fixed in the stable version now (20.2.5130.571).

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2020, 01:50:17 PM »
Thank you, Asyn, it's confirmed for me.
- Rebooted to update to version ....571
- reset to "ask", deleted the old rules and rebooted .
- allowed a few applications and rebooted again
- re-opened those same applications... and everything seems to be working, no more requests. :)

;D ;D It's helpful to complain a little to get what we want.  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:23:19 PM by chris.. »

Offline Black_horse_88

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
It also has been fixed in the stable version now (20.2.5130.571).

@Asyn
Please take a look at the bug once again, as this triggered another bug.
I ran a program today that tried to access the internet for an update, Avast firewall prompt an action, I sat it to "deny" with "remember my answer" checked.

Despite my selection to deny, the program still accessed to the internet and downloaded the update.
I paused the update deleted the rule and tried again, still got access to the internet.

I choose deny without the "Remember my answer" the program was blocked.

Having Avast saving rules does not block access to the internet, more likely, it decide automatically.
Please investigate on this bug.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2020, 06:27:15 AM »
Wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/contact

Offline Black_horse_88

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2020, 03:52:32 PM »
Wait for one of the devs and/or submit a ticket: https://support.avast.com/contact

How to get devs attention here?
As I would like other users to experiment and back this up with their feedback.
In case my ticket gets ignored for being a single user issue.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2020, 06:05:23 AM »
How to get devs attention here?
I already forwarded it...