Author Topic: [EOL] Virus definition updates for Avast version 9/10/11 end in summer 2023  (Read 5743 times)

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
Hi all,
We would like to announce that Avast versions9/10/11 will stop receiving virus definitions in September 2023. We highly recommend to update to newer version as soon as possible.

Here is a guide how to update: https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Update-Antivirus

Or you can simply download and install the latest version here: https://bits.avcdn.net/productfamily_ANTIVIRUS/insttype_FREE/platform_WIN/installertype_ONLINE/build_RELEASE_ICARUS/

Thank you!
Quality is also a feature.

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
DONE - we stopped releasing of new virus definitions for the old versions 9/10/11 (aka 2014/2015/2016) a week ago. The product will still work but will not be able to catch the new threats. The product UI will start complaining about the outdated virus database. We launched a campaign to show the reason in the product UI - at the banner. But we are almost unable to test it as those build are so old...
Quality is also a feature.

Offline Dinobot2

So by the current version numbering system, Versions 9, 10, and 11 are really versions 14, 15, and 16?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
If you're asking about the release dates, the first build of version 9 was released in October 2013, version 10 in October 2014, and version 11 in November 2015 (followed by version 12 in June 2016).
There were no versions 13-16, version 17 was released in February 2017.

Offline Dinobot2

Yeah, pretty much. I just noticed that now the releast version number actually corresponds to the month and year it was released, which looks like was started in 2017.

Offline info230

Lukas. Hasik,   I'm a basic home user on my laptop and was wondering what was going on as I started getting a notification in my Avast interface yesterday telling me that virus definitions need updating and that I'm not protected,  I ran the check for updates and it didnt do anything or offer to update that I'd normally expect after such a search.  I have premium security version 23.10.6806,  it tells me the release date was October the 9th 2023,  so do I need to update to this latest version to carry on with virus definition updates to be covered for new viruses.      As it says on the icon in my task bar that I am not protcted,   does this mean not against any virus releases from now on,  am sure my premium security is still working,   TIA 

Update,   I clicked the link for on line update to newest 11 version just now,  well twice,   both times I got a box come up saying I need to connect to the internet for the udate to work,  erm excuse me I am logged onto the net with my laptop,   this is what I find frustrating as I am only a basic computer user and cant figure why this happens like this and never know how to reolve it.  I tried to update in the interface,  clicked update by programme ,  it was running a check for updates then nothing happened,  no install or restart computor notice so that method is not working    also the interface isnt working properly, trying to open the Avast interface either from the task bar on the icon itself,   or right click then open or from desk top icon,  it's taking so long to load I cannot get into to the interface.  If the download had of worked am sure I would have been asked to restart my laptop.  I'm leaving it for now as cant be bothered trying to fight it to find out whats going. on.         
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:48:43 PM by info230 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
@ info230
I'm not even sure that link is working given it was posted on 13 July 2023.

But why would you want to go backwards to Avast program version 11, when you already have Avast version 23.10.6806.  As this is what this topic is about.

This topic really isn't connected to your issue and would be best placed in a New Topic of its own. and the title should be 'Unable to update VPS error you are off-line.' If you check there should be other topics directly connected to what you ask.

Ignore this topic "Virus definition updates for Avast version 9/10/11" as it is unrelated to your problem.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline info230

@DavidR,
Thanks for your reply.  I dont know what the latest version is,  I presumed that because there is the number 10 in the version number I do have,  it made sense that 11 was the next one that was released.    In the initial post by Lukas,  he states that versions 9,10 and 11 will stop receiving virus definitions updates and I cannot update the virus definition in the Avast interface and the task bar icon is telling me I am not protected so by that I felt this was the right thread to ask in.  I ran check fior updates in the interface and it is not doing anything or informig me of updates.   I felt this thread was very relevant.   I will in a seperate thread as I do not know what to do to sort this.   

Also 23.11 was released on 14th November 23 and the version 23.10 date shows as Ocotber 9th 23 when I loaded that version onto my laptop so the dates show that 11 is a later version or is that not how it works   ?           
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 08:26:39 AM by info230 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

@DavidR,
<snip>
Also 23.11 was released on 14th November 23 and the version 23.10 date shows as Ocotber 9th 23 when I loaded that version onto my laptop so the dates show that 11 is a later version or is that not how it works   ?           

No ?
I have replied in the other topic.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security