Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

Versions 8 and lower no longer supported

<< < (2/13) > >>

Cluster-Lizard2014:
And that folks is a perfect example of the blinkered consumerist throw away attitude and why the world is filled with deliberately made redundant electronic waste, polluting every continent on the Earth. 

New is not always better, particularly not for the consumer and the environment. 

securitest:
Highly questionable timing at this time of global crisis, and without warning...
People have other problems to deal with right now.
But some Avast decision-makers decided it was the right move at the right moment.

DavidR:
I can't understand the problem either, what is to stop an upgrade to a later version that 'is still' supported and would presumably be covered by existing licenses ?

EdAgee:
I would like to emphasize a few words you used in your post, RejZoR, if you don't mind.

--- Quote --- ... the vendor phases it out.
--- End quote ---

I am wondering if this is a case of something being phased out, because I had the impression that when something is "phased out" there are steps to the whatever disappearing.

I'm just sort of wondering what steps we can identify in this particular case.

And there are some folks here that feel the timing is rotten, but this is very likely a management decision that was made some time back and now the company is probably having a hard time conducting meetings to review past decisions that are to be implemented during some difficult times.  Somebody just made a recent decision that on this one they would just stick to the original plan, even though there are unusual events taking place present-day.

But there is one thing that I sense in your analyzation, RejZoR, that I hope you don't mind my addressing.  You seem to be viewing this from a prospective of a true understanding of what a version is and what the purpose is of a program that uses that system of upgrades and all that is connected with such a program.  That is kind of like somebody who knows what exactly is making a car run.  Knows the engine and the transmission and all that.

The problem is that a whole lot of perfectly normal humans drive a car and don't have a clue why it is running.  Something breaks and they take the car to a professional.

Same thing with digital programs, such as a software program that does the job of protecting their system.

That customer hasn't a clue why and how that program works and just does the most basic of stuff and, in this case, maybe it is set to an auto mode of some sort and maybe those people have even forgotten that program was installed on their computer by the daughter or son, or somebody.

Sure they are relying on it, but they may have even forgotten they are.  And they sure don't know that there are versions or even any age thing.  It's just there.  A lot like the computer hardware itself that they just turn on and away they go doing whatever they want to do.

I think what I am trying to point out, RejZoR, is that you have the tech eye sort of thinking, but millions of customers do not.  And the key word there is "customers" and it used to be that business folks were very nice to customers.  There is a lot of that niceness missing in this computer world at the tech side because the tech folks think like tech folks and not like somebody who has other matters that they view as a whole bunch more important than some program that starts with an "A" and does some weird job of protecting from something they don't even know anything about.

And I also would bet that those same folks don't even know this forum exists and so is the announcement here is going to be of much help to alert a whole bunch of customers to this change that was decided upon a bit back?

I mean, how many customers does this company have?  Is it in the millions?  If so, then I would bet I can find at least a hundred thousand that haven't a clue what's going on with this product or even why it was installed by somebody on their computer.

I really think it might not be such a bad idea to give some of those folks some consideration.  And I wonder if any of those same folks might own some significant stock in this company.  That could make for some very uncomfortable talking at some stockholder's meeting if suddenly a big change was made and they were taken by surprise.  I sure hope the message of this thread has been placed before some customers that are more interested in making money, and are good at that job, than being interested in why their computer works so well.  And computer hardware has gotten mighty reliable and some computers can go for years and years before there is trouble, especially if everything is set at automatic.

Sometimes thinking like a tech pro isn't such a good idea.  Be nice to that customer, especially if it might be a sort of not too bright customer, but one that has money.

My goodness, sorry this post got so long.

davews:
I am puzzled. By 'Windows 8' do you mean also Windows 8.1 which is in extended support from MS until 2023. Windows 7 of course is now out of support but there are still loads of computers in use with it, it is surely too early to end Avast support on that, you kept supporting XP for a very long time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version