Author Topic: Versions 8 and lower no longer supported  (Read 76753 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Versions 8 and lower no longer supported
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 02:41:27 PM »
I have a vested interest in Avast version 10(2015).  It is my misfortune that my Windows XP SP3 system uses a non-SSE2 processor and so cannot use Avast 18.8.
Hi versions 9+ are still supported.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
Won't it be the case that virus definition updates for old Avast versions are distributed using automation and so there are only modest overheads entailed in their distribution?

It's not about the distribution, it's about their actual creation or implementation. A big part of virus definitions are simply code - just like the program itself, only loaded from a newly created/updated folder every day.
That code has to be compiled with an old compiler (to work in those old programs), so it cannot use any new(er) features (that may have a performance or security impact). Some 3rd party libraries may have to stay on old (possibly buggy or insecure) versions because the new/fixed ones cannot even be compiled with that old compiler anymore.
The program provides a lot of functionality for the virus definitions (you could imagine the program being an array of sensors feeding information into the virus definition code where it gets evaluated, plus also providing "executive functions" that can be called when a decision was made. Those old program versions have less sensors, and they use different formats, so the code in the virus definitions gets complicated - and subsequently buggy (and of course takes longer time to write, and longer time to test). So as I wrote elsewhere, it slows down the development and release of updated protection for the new program versions.

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 11:53:05 PM »
Thanks Igor.  That is interesting.  I learned a lot from your insights of the production of virus definitions.

Inside the void within my skull which is my brain, I had naively assumed that virus definitions were at the level of templates.  Now I learn that they possess the dynamic complexity of software so it is no wonder that old versions must eventually be discontinued.  I should actually be saying "thanks" to Avast for so considerably prolonging the lives of older versions.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:31:41 AM by loungehake »
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline José Barros

• Security Forever
    • Inpasa
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 07:37:26 PM »
I agree with Cluster-Lizard2014.  I accept the offer of elective features with reasonable (if grumpy >:() grace because I use a free version.

Software maintenance of version 8 and earlier has already ceased a few years ago but the virus definition updates for old Avast versions are presumably unlikely to become functionally obsolete unless much more recent old versions are to be also designated as obsolete.  Won't it be the case that virus definition updates for old Avast versions are distributed using automation and so there are only modest overheads entailed in their distribution?

I have a vested interest in Avast version 10(2015).  It is my misfortune that my Windows XP SP3 system uses a non-SSE2 processor and so cannot use Avast 18.8.

Continued supply of virus definition updates for older versions offers peace of mind to users of older systems and to those who have found that more recent versions are troublesome.

True, I totally agree ... Avast should respect its older customers and stop wanting to impose versions ... After all, they manufacture antivirus, not operating systems. Microsoft's shit is enough for us to download problem patches to make its slow, resource-consuming system worse.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 08:03:37 PM »
I agree with Cluster-Lizard2014.  I accept the offer of elective features with reasonable (if grumpy >:( ) grace because I use a free version.

Software maintenance of version 8 and earlier has already ceased a few years ago but the virus definition updates for old Avast versions are presumably unlikely to become functionally obsolete unless much more recent old versions are to be also designated as obsolete.  Won't it be the case that virus definition updates for old Avast versions are distributed using automation and so there are only modest overheads entailed in their distribution?

Continued supply of virus definition updates for older versions offers peace of mind to users of older systems and to those who have found that more recent versions are troublesome.

True, I totally agree ... Avast should respect its older customers and stop wanting to impose versions ... After all, they manufacture antivirus, not operating systems. Microsoft's shit is enough for us to download problem patches to make its slow, resource-consuming system worse.
You still don't seem to understand that your old operating system can not run a version of Avast that can protect you.
It's time to upgrade your operating system in order to be protected against current vulnerabilities.

Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2020, 08:50:56 PM »
I agree Bob.  Lack of ASLR is the bummer with XP and I am using it less and less.  I definitely no longer use XP for anything which is even remotely connected with privacy.  I am still waiting for a security event though.  I feel quite left out.  All the Windows 8.1 and 10 systems I have built and now support for friends and relatives have yet to suffer security events.  I emphasise the use of the word 'yet'.

I have found that using the strictest degree of mandatory ASLR causes no operational problems yet (that word again) apart from preventing Malwarebytes AdwCleaner 8 from executing.  Version 7 is unaffected.

You might have noticed that I no longer mention my XP system in my forum profile.  This is because I am using another AV with XP, apparently the only AV product still to run with XP in its latest version form.

Keep safe Bob and Mrs Bob (I mean safe from COVID-19 :()   
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.1, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2020, 11:29:05 PM »
"Keep safe Bob and Mrs Bob (I mean safe from COVID-19 ) "
Thank you we are both fine. Hope you and your family are also doing well.
My youngest daughter is currently awaiting test results. We have our fingers crossed an
have many prayers being said.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline KDibble

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2020, 04:14:37 PM »
In the case of the management console for Avast Business Pro vs. the SOA for Endpoint Protection Plus, new is definitely not better. The console is missing several features that were available in the SOA and this has made the system more time consuming for me to use. This is a primary reason why I have only been using Avast Business Pro with Windows 10 devices, because Endpoint Protection Plus won't work with that operating system. If people want to encourage rapid uptake of new versions, they need to make sure the new versions don't remove features that people rely on.

COVID may be affecting the efficiency of Avast's operations, and I am sympathetic because it is affecting my operation in a very serious way. But I doubt that is what stopped them from directly notifying its business customers of the date when they would stop supporting the older product. I should not have to monitor events on a website manned largely by volunteers on a daily basis to find out this kind of thing.

Given recent public disclosures regarding Avast's abuse of the personal information it has collected about users  (at least those using the free version), I would suggest that the company be very careful and diligent about only taking such steps as will improve its standing among its customer base. Many people in the industry who had previously promoted Avast as one of the better anti-malware products have changed their positions as a result of this scandal. The company is probably very close to a tipping point in terms of loss or business as a result of this. The company cannot afford any further missteps. It should come completely clean about what it does with information collected from paying customers. And it should rapidly restore all features that were in the SOA to the Avast Business Pro console.

Offline =Snake=

• Still using Avast Free!
  • Maybe Bot
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2020, 05:01:21 PM »
You might have noticed that I no longer mention my XP system in my forum profile.  This is because I am using another AV with XP, apparently the only AV product still to run with XP in its latest version form.
Hi!

Just read your post here and I thought, I'll try to tell you, that there are a lot of members here, still using XP with Avast AV without any probs (see my sig).
But I invested a lot of time getting there and my experience is, that it depends on the hardware structure of the machines to find out the latest usable version of Avast.
Keep safe.

=Snake=
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2020, 08:18:53 PM »
Hi!

Just read your post here and I thought, I'll try to tell you, that there are a lot of members here, still using XP with Avast AV without any probs (see my sig).
But I invested a lot of time getting there and my experience is, that it depends on the hardware structure of the machines to find out the latest usable version of Avast.
Keep safe.

=Snake=

Well XP/Vista is supported up to Avast version 18.8, so there really shouldn't be any reason to stop with a very old Avast 8 version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline =Snake=

• Maybe Bot
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »
Hi!

Keep safe.

=Snake=

Well XP/Vista is supported up to Avast version 18.8, so there really shouldn't be any reason to stop with a very old Avast 8 version.

But version 18.8. didn't fit on those machines with XP or W7 caused by the implemented hardware. So the latest one was Avast free 10.4.2233!
Desktops: AMD LE1620, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | IP-4, XP pro SP3[x86] | Intel Celeron, W7 ult SP1 [x86] | AMD-Athlon 1800+, XP pro SP3, [x86] in WL |
Laptops:   HP G72 , W10 Home [x64]  v22H2 (Build 19045.2728) | Acer Aspire ES1-131, W10 Home [x64] v1511 (Build 10586.1106)|
Firefox ESR [AOS,NS,uBO,uMatrix],Thunderbird,MCShield,CCleaner,Defraggler,MBAM Free,MBAE, Avast Free Antivirus|

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2020, 11:02:16 AM »
Hi!

Keep safe.

=Snake=

But version 18.8. didn't fit on those machines with XP or W7 caused by the implemented hardware. So the latest one was Avast free 10.4.2233!

Fitted on mine, so it isn't all XP/Vista systems, which I was saying (not Win7).

Users should at least try to get the latest version that they can install, be that Avast 10 or 18 as support for Avast 8 will or has ended.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
I am using v18.8 perfectly well on a old XP SP3 (now XP/Linux dual boot) machine. That is the version you should try first for XP/Vista then go backwards from that if it doesn't work on your particular machine. Later versions will provide better protection if not better UI. Protection not apperance is King here.

Offline wolf55

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »
Hello there,
I noticed that after version 8 and below support was cut, mozilla firefox HTTPS traffic is not working properly.

For example, clicking on test viruses is no problem in HTTP
http://2016.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

But HTTPS does not detect traffic.
https://secure.eicar.org/eicar.com

I discussed this issue with firefox officers. The problem is a bilateral problem, but it seems to be avast.

That is, if I install with the latest 2020 setup file of avast, HTTPS detection works fine.
However, in avast version 9 and above, HTTPS traffic does not work properly.

I am satisfied with the avast 11 version, I use it.
It is noteworthy that it removes HTTPS when it uninstalls and reinstalls it, but it does not detect HTTPS scanning again when it receives VPS updates.
Apparently not only for avast 8 and below, support for 18 and below versions has been cut off, the VPS packages you provided are causing problems. This problem does not exist in versions 19 and 20. All the other sub-versions have the same problem.

HTTPS traffic runs smoothly in opera, but there is a problem in firefox. I should point out that this issue is not a simple certificate issue, but all certificates are complete.

The current 2020 version of avast with Firefox works flawlessly, but why does it not detect HTTPS traffic when the VPS update comes to other older versions?

Sorry my foreign language is not good, thank you for your understanding ...

Offline =Snake=

• Maybe Bot
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2020, 10:45:34 PM »

Hi!

I agree with loungehake for I'm still using very old machines with non-SSE2 like him (see my sig). So there's nothing to write more.

=Snake=