Author Topic: Automatically upgraded to Premium Security - Will there be fees next year?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline satansringpiece

Okay, so I just restarted my machine and all of a sudden Avast has upgraded itself to Premium security.

Does that mean they're going to attempt to charge me more next time my subscription comes up? I didn't ask for Premium, nor want it, so I'm certainly not paying extra for it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You don't say what product you were using ?

Support for Avast Pro, Avast Internet Security and Avast Premier is being phased out and they are being upgraded (free) in the run up to support being phased out. 

Yes, you will most certainly have a renewal payment if you are already on the Automatic Renewal (payment) scheme.  But you can cancel that automatic renewal option.

I don't know what that renewal fee might be (as I'm an avast free user) at the time of renewal.  You could check what the current pricing is on the Avast site for an idea. https://www.avast.com/en-gb/premium-security#pc
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline satansringpiece

It was just Avast Internet Security.

£59.99 is more than I paid last time, much more than it was when I initially signed up, and more than I'm prepared to pay, to be honest. So I'll have to remember to cancel the auto-subscribe.

Cheers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline HawkerEng

They will try to get that amount, but if you don't pay it they will keep giving you better and better deals as your expiration date gets closer. They dropped the price 3 times for me until it finally was a price that made sense to renew, and I never had to let it run out.  I expect they will continue to do the same. You can also message them to bargain and they often give a lower rate or get it on Amazon from an authorized reseller for about 1/4 the price.

£59.99 is more than I paid last time, much more than it was when I initially signed up, and more than I'm prepared to pay, to be honest. So I'll have to remember to cancel the auto-subscribe.

Cheers.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Okay, so I just restarted my machine and all of a sudden Avast has upgraded itself to Premium security.

Does that mean they're going to attempt to charge me more next time my subscription comes up? I didn't ask for Premium, nor want it, so I'm certainly not paying extra for it...
-> Premium Security FAQ: https://support.avast.com/article/Premium-Security-FAQ
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
They will try to get that amount, but if you don't pay it they will keep giving you better and better deals as your expiration date gets closer. They dropped the price 3 times for me until it finally was a price that made sense to renew, and I never had to let it run out.  I expect they will continue to do the same. You can also message them to bargain and they often give a lower rate or get it on Amazon from an authorized reseller for about 1/4 the price.

Cheers.

That isn't entirely correct:
1.  If you still have an auto renewal payment in force, then come renewal time, you get an email about a week before of impending payment and the payment will be automatically actioned.  No bargaining there, if you have cancelled the auto renewal payment mandate, then perhaps you would get a deal offered.

2.  How do you prove that it is an Avast Authorised Reseller, get that wrong and instead of a bargain you are getting taken and the license could well be blocked at some point by Avast.

Offline satansringpiece

Oh well, I'm not prepared to "negotiate". Either they respect their customers and offer them a decent deal in the first place, or I will walk.

I will quite simply use a different product altogether. I refuse to pay more just because of Avast's nasty business tactics of discontinuing the truncated version just so as they can charge more money. There is no real reason for only offering the premium service other than corporate greed.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:54:57 PM by satansringpiece »

Offline MartinZ

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
The upgrade is for free for the remaining period, of course. Regarding the renewal price we will provide discounts to migrated users and you will be advised of the price before renewal.