Author Topic: Avast ignores my settings and wrecks its own product  (Read 1321 times)

Offline fishswimthesea

Avast ignores my settings and wrecks its own product
« on: April 10, 2020, 06:32:34 PM »
I have Avast password protected and set to update the application manually, yet they continually ignore that and try to update automatically anyway. So, for the fourth time in six months they broke the software trying to update a password protected product. Now I have to waste my time uninstalling and installing the product again. What is their problem? Why are they unable to follow instructions?
Avast Free Antivirus - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast ignores my settings and wrecks its own product
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 06:46:39 PM »
If I'm understanding the issue correctly, This may help:
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-Embarrassing-UI-Failed-load

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 07:04:41 PM »
I have Avast password protected and set to update the application manually, yet they continually ignore that and try to update automatically anyway. So, for the fourth time in six months they broke the software trying to update a password protected product.
<snip>

I have Program Updates set to Manual and have never had an instance of a regular program update since doing that, so I'm not sure why it might be happening on your system.

However, as the only one to access my systems, I haven't set a password on my avast settings/processes.

There are occasions when an Emergency Update may be available or a micro update (bug kill, etc.), so I don't know how that may interact with your settings.  Generally I find out about program updates via the forums or checking the Notifications area in the AvastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fishswimthesea

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:06:53 PM »
If I'm understanding the issue correctly, This may help:
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Troubleshoot-Embarrassing-UI-Failed-load

Thank you for the link. In the Services console, access is denied to Avast Antivirus, even at the administrator level, but it is set correctly at automatic and is running. Access is available to Remote Desktop Services. It was not set correctly, so I reset it to automatic and it is now running. Hopefully that will help avast see my settings and back off from automatically updating the application.
Avast Free Antivirus - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit