Author Topic: False Avast Software Update  (Read 1541 times)

Offline ForgottenShadows

False Avast Software Update
« on: April 13, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »
I have been a user of Advast Antivirus(Free variant) since 2004 and I am currently using version 20.2.2401 and build 20.2.5130.564. I am not sure if it is a false update or not though apparently there was a new update through my notifications. When I click Update the progress would show up whenever I have Advast(Settings>General>Updates) open and then I would reboot my PC after the update finishes. Other times it would install the program update automatically and then restart my PC on it's own after a short amount of time if I am away from the PC. This time around even after the update and manual restart I see a exclamation though when I hover over the Avast symbol on the taskbar tray a small popup appears over it that just says Attention. I open Advast and at the Status screen it's saying that there is still an update. I have included some screenshots so you can get the jest of what I am talking about. I am curious is this a false update for Advast or is there an issue that is trying to be resolved on Avast's side of things?

https://i.postimg.cc/c47T1yfN/Advast-SS1.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/s2L4HVC5/Advast-SS2.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/ZRyF11J2/Advast-SS3.jpg
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:39:42 PM by ForgottenShadows »
The darkness deep inside of my soul is taking over.
Somewhere the pain and torment of another has begun.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: False Avast Software Update
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 12:09:40 PM »
The new version I have is 20.2.2401 (build 20.2.5130.568), so you are not far out.
It is impossible to view your screenshots as they appear same small size as shown on forum page.
Have you tried doing a proper Restart (not just shutdown startup) of your machine?
For more help, we will need more details i.e. Avast free or paid, Operating system, Other antivirus software used or installed in the past.

Edit: see you have free version.

Offline ForgottenShadows

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 04:15:03 PM »
Yes I have done a standard restart of my PC and it's still giving me the same result.

My operating system is Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS. Macafee(trial variant) was pre-installed when I purchased my PC back in Feb though I installed Avast the same day after I set up my machine and set it as my primary. Although the trial for it expired yesterday or the day before. Avast is the only Antivirus that I am familiar with and trust. I have even used it on the last 5 PCs that I have had.

Edit: I posted the base links for the images and they should be of reliable size and open in a new tab for viewing.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 06:04:39 PM by ForgottenShadows »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 05:21:30 PM »
@  ForgottenShadows
The easier option would be to have used the Attachments and other options below the Reply window (see attached image, click to expand).  That way the images are situated on the avast forums and not an unknown 3rd party location.

I would also suggest that you crop the images to show only the required information, rather than a full screen capture.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 07:24:25 PM »
Yes I have done a standard restart of my PC and it's still giving me the same result.

My operating system is Windows 10 Home 64-bit OS. Macafee(trial variant) was pre-installed when I purchased my PC back in Feb though I installed Avast the same day after I set up my machine and set it as my primary. Although the trial for it expired yesterday or the day before. Avast is the only Antivirus that I am familiar with and trust. I have even used it on the last 5 PCs that I have had.

Edit: I posted the base links for the images and they should be of reliable size and open in a new tab for viewing.

Well may not be relevant, however curious about the pre-installed McAfee. How did you
uninstall this program BEFORE you installed Avast on your purchased PC?
Remnants from previous Security Software can affect the proper functioning of Avast

Offline ForgottenShadows

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 10:11:26 PM »
I checked with the original box that the PC came with. It says that McAfee is set with a 30 day trial as part of a bundle. I never said that I uninstalled it from my system, I only said that I set Avast as my primary Antivirus program.  I checked my notifications again(as of this response) and it is asking me to renew my subscription for it to continue protecting my device. Though as far as I can see McAfee isn't interfering or conflicting with Avast and vice versa.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 11:07:37 PM »
I checked with the original box that the PC came with. It says that McAfee is set with a 30 day trial as part of a bundle. I never said that I uninstalled it from my system, I only said that I set Avast as my primary Antivirus program.  I checked my notifications again(as of this response) and it is asking me to renew my subscription for it to continue protecting my device. Though as far as I can see McAfee isn't interfering or conflicting with Avast and vice versa.
It is recomended to remove old/unused AV

Why it isn’t a good idea to run multiple full antivirus products..!!
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0

« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 01:16:47 AM by Pondus »

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 03:59:48 AM »
It is recomended to remove old/unused AV

Why it isn’t a good idea to run multiple full antivirus products..!!
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=211973.0

Yes, that' what I was curious about, and the fact that you didn't uninstall McAfee tells me that your issue could very likely be caused by conflict and incompatibility with more then ONE AV installed.
Pondus provided an excellent link for further information. :)