Author Topic: Virus Definitions Invalid date  (Read 8850 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Virus Definitions Invalid date
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2020, 11:18:27 AM »
Have you tried clicking [Check for updates]? ...
... Avast's stubbornness has wasted too much of my time ...
@Zitrus, No worries, I knew what you meant by "Avast's stubbornness".
I am glad your issue is now fixed and you can now chill :)

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2020, 03:21:31 PM »
@...I am glad your issue is now fixed and you can now chill :)

Thank you :)

Unfortunately I can't relax yet :(

The problem with the date of the virus definitions has been fixed, but the issue by Avast FAv persistent meddling with Firefox "The browser is managed by your organization" is still virulent.

It was gone after uninstalling Avast FAv. But after reinstalling of Avast FAv v20 this unsolicited impingement on Firefox was back, although I deactivated HTTPS + QUIC / HTTP3 in the Avast settings.
So far I haven't found a solution for this :-\
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:33:52 AM by Zitrus »
I have my contributions translated online into English
For misunderstandings please blame the translator ;-)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2020, 06:25:51 PM »
Have you seen this re Firefox:
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233119.msg1543278#msg1543278

However, the browser issue differs from the prime subject of this thread. Maybe better you start a new thread than divert this one.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 06:29:24 PM by rocksteady »

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 03:04:01 AM »
The problem with the date of the virus definitions has been fixed, ...

How long does "fixed" last? My translator says:
One should not chickens before they hatch the day! ::)

Again! :o "Virus definitions are not up to date" - Oh dear! >:(

(time, date and time zone of my computer is perfect and time setttings are Windows default)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:00:58 AM by Zitrus »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 04:32:39 PM »
@Zitrus,
That is weird as the version of your virus definitions is same as mine just now. Just time is different, but you are likely in different time zone.
Have you tried clicking [Update] again?

(saying is: "Don't count your chickens before they're hatched." your translator was not so bad).

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 01:25:56 AM »

Thanks for answering.
Sure I did that, several times. Manual offline updates too (defs from https://www.avast.com/de-de/download-update. No successes.
Time zone as in picture.
Well, I guess "Virus definitions are not up to date" is a false report and I hope my computer is protected by Avast FAv.

I am stumped at this bug and it's up to Avast now - I hope a new version will fix it. On my part there will be no time-wasting uninstall-reinstall ping-pong anymore.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 02:42:26 AM »
Does what is reported in your image of reply #18 above, match the defs sub folder ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 04:20:48 AM »
Does what is reported in your image of reply #18 above, match the defs sub folder ?

Thanks for answering
There's a lot more in the folder. The newest and the ones from 8 days back. Does it have to be that way?
Strange thing: the date and the content of aswdefs.ini ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 12:04:15 PM »

Thanks for answering
There's a lot more in the folder. The newest and the ones from 8 days back. Does it have to be that way?
Strange thing: the date and the content of aswdefs.ini ???

You're welcome.

The defs sub-folder should be periodically cleared (not necessarily immediately), as a new Virus Definitions Update (VPS update) comes in, it should clear the streaming updates associated with the previous VPS update.

If you are regularly restarting your system (not using the windows quick boot) that is normally when Avast housekeeping occurs.

Since your Updates are still reporting your VPS isn't up to date, even though it is and you have lots of these old VPS and streaming updates.  I would suggest that you do a complete Windows shutdown and restart.

If that doesn't clear most of them then try an Avast Repair again and follow it up with a complete restart again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 01:41:39 AM »
If you are regularly restarting your system (not using the windows quick boot) that is normally when Avast housekeeping occurs.

Thanks, to restart the PC was a good advice! :)

I did a restart into my administrator account - no improvement yet this time.

Then I changed my regular user account in a administrator one and made a restart again into this account - this second restart finally brought the desired success.

(I changed now back to Windows user account)

OK, it's fine now. But I think it shouldn't be that for Avast's housekeeping a restart is necessary every week.
With the previous version 19, I didn't have the slightest problem with the "up to dateness" of the definitions although I sometimes didn't restart my PC for several weeks. Only with the update to version 20 the problem did arise. I hope Avast will fix this sometime.

And thanks again for your help - I myself never thought that something as simple as restarting brings something in this case 8)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 01:44:30 AM by Zitrus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 02:57:12 AM »
You're welcome.

Ordinarily it shouldn't need a restart to trigger the housekeeping.  I don't restart my win10 laptop system that frequently and my defs sub-folder is fairly clear most times that I check (in cases like this questions in the forum).

I don't know why you booted into your Administrator account, perhaps because your ordinary/regular user account didn't have administrator privileges.  Now that you have given it Administrator privileges, Avast may be able to carry out this housekeeping.  Just monitor it over a few days and see.

You would be surprised what a simple restart will resolve (and not just this) on your system.

Offline Zitrus

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 11:58:39 PM »
Now that you have given it Administrator privileges, Avast may be able to carry out this housekeeping.  Just monitor it over a few days and see.

That's a misunderstanding. I wrote a tad unclear "(I changed now back to Windows user account)".

I changed the mentioned account back to an user account without administrator privileges. I think it's too risky to give a standard user account administrator privileges on the long run. Because malware may have sneaked in online, malicious files may be hidden in temporary folders or in browser caches  - harmless, as long as you are only a standard user but just "waiting" for you to make a mistake. Risky especially when you are online as administrator. That is why I had deleted all caches and temporary folders prior to equipping my standard user account with administrator privileges. And I did an extra virus scan before.
And finally i changed it back to an standard user account - it's just safer. 8)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2020, 12:14:10 AM »
OK, thanks for the clarification, if necessary a restart should trigger the housekeeping in the defs sub-folder.

Offline SumpoZ

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 06:09:07 PM »
Hello.
I have the same problem with "Invalid date".
There are no visible problems in the defs folder.
Restarts, including those with administrative rights, did not help.
Repair didn't help either.
About 10 restarts were made.
This problem seems to have occurred since version 20. But I didn't pay attention to this before, because the antivirus works without problems. Updates are installed without problems. But recently, this "Invalid date" has become a nuisance. I found this topic. So I'm not the only one with this problem.
Most likely, the problem is really in the Avast antivirus.
And that makes me very upset. :(
A screenshot is attached.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »
@SumpoZ