Author Topic: Rescue disk doesn't run because of missing aswShell.exe  (Read 28021 times)

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: Rescue disk doesn't run because of missing aswShell.exe
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Just for grins I made a Rescue DVD.  This actually boots but doesn't seem to be able to do anything.  It could not update and it would not scan the SSD.  It just says that the 'Scan has failed'.

Will also doublecheck this issue, thank you for your report.

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2020, 09:46:49 AM »
Just for grins I made a Rescue DVD.  This actually boots but doesn't seem to be able to do anything.  It could not update and it would not scan the SSD.  It just says that the 'Scan has failed'.

Will also doublecheck this issue, thank you for your report.

Just prepared rescue disk via ISO burned to CD and it works great on my machine - I mean VPS (virus definition update) as well as execution of the scan seems to be just fine. Please note that for updating it must be connected to the internet via cable (wifi is not supported at the moment, but will be in the future). In terms of of the update as well as the scan problems, is there any other error message other then what you already mentioned? Especially for the update - any error code?

Also, could you please look at the hard drive(s) for the AvastPE.log file? This can help us to find out where the problem is. I assume there will be some problem with accessing the hard drive itself for scanning. Could you also try to run scandisk for the drive and try again if it helps?

Thank you for your cooperation, highly appreciated!

Offline petr.kolacek

• Avast team
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2020, 01:50:53 PM »
I tried Beta 20.5 and it does what my laptop does - creates a totally non-bootable USB.  There is no UEFI boot option only Legacy.

Hi rmwhitworth, thank you for the information. The Rescue CD should be created as legacy as well as UEFI - we will doublecheck and get back to you.

Let me inform you that we induced the issue with booting with active UEFI and the problem will be fixed in 20.5 release (ETA: June 2020). Thank you for your cooperation.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 01:52:59 PM by petr.kolacek »