Author Topic: avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline Two Instances on my Desktop, 1 padlocked  (Read 852 times)

Offline sadie_01

Hi. I downloaded avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline a year ago, in case I needed to re-install my Avast Premium Security, that I was having issues with. I never needed to install it, so it sits on my desktop just in case.

A few days ago, Avast told me to install an update to the Premium Security and reboot. Yesterday, I noticed there is another  avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline on my desktop, except this one has a padlock on it. When I looked at the properties, at the bottom of the "General" tab where attributes are, below that is says "Security:" and to the right it says "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer." and to the right of that, is a button that says "Unblock". I haven't touched the "Unblocked" button. I checked the security tab, the group/ user names are the same ones that were there when I downloaded it originally. Now both instances say the same thing.

Any ideas? It's odd that they seem to be identical programs, except one has a padlock. "This file came from another computer...etc. just showed up on the original download. Why the padlocked file all of a sudden? They both say "created (modified, accessed) on Monday May 13th, 2019.

I've got Avast Premier v.   20.2.2401
I'm running windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64 bit
I've run only Avast on this machine. When I got it, I uninstalled a bunch of unwanted programs, one was the Norton Security so I could use Avast. I didn't find any evidence of it after uninstalling it, but while setting up the Avast Premier last year, I found Norton regularly sending outbound internet traffic. I immediately put a stop to that.

I'll get rid of these and re-download the program. Just curious about that padlocked file.