Author Topic: Windows 10 Mail app - Mail shield?  (Read 3368 times)

Offline David_27

Windows 10 Mail app - Mail shield?
« on: April 25, 2020, 06:17:58 PM »
Does Avast's Mail Shield and its signature support Microsoft's Windows 10 Mail and Calendar app, or only Office's Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:34:40 PM by David_27 »

Offline David_27

Re: Windows 10 Mail app - Mail shield?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:17:24 PM »
The signature is not working for me on the Mail app. I've sent emails to myself to test it and it does not appear. I've checked the settings... It makes me wonder if the Mail Shield is working at all with the app? Is it compatible?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 01:13:43 AM »
First I'm not sure What the win10 mail app is web based, or PC client based as I have never used it on my win10 system

The Mail Shield signature only works for email clients (like Thunderbird in my case), as this signature is generated on the system prior to being sent over the normal email ports, not Web Mail where email is compiled and stored on-line.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David_27

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 04:33:52 AM »
First I'm not sure What the win10 mail app is web based, or PC client based as I have never used it on my win10 system

The Mail Shield signature only works for email clients (like Thunderbird in my case), as this signature is generated on the system prior to being sent over the normal email ports, not Web Mail where email is compiled and stored on-line.
I think it's a client, it's basically a simpler Outlook.
It's working in Gmail website though...
Edit: Gmail is also working on Windows 10 Mail app, so.. the issue is email provider related, not the client. What could it be? Strange.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:52:41 AM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 11:31:07 AM »

Edit: Gmail is also working on Windows 10 Mail app, so.. the issue is email provider related, not the client. What could it be? Strange.

A very simplistic explanation is a Client based email program, stores copies of sent and received emails on your system

If it is the same as Outlook, that uses a Avast add-on actually within the program to handle email scanning (and presumably adding signatures) not the Mail Shield. 

My problem is:
It is a very, very long time ago that every used MS Outlook before I went to Outlook Express and finally to Thunderbird.
I have never used Microsoft's Windows 10 Mail, I thought I would give it a quick try to see what it was. But MS forces you to create an MS Account, so that was the end of my trial.

There are many that no longer use the signature addition, because it could be faked in a spam/scam email and some feel it advertising rather than confidence that the email actually is clean.

Normally Gmail is web based email, viewed through your browser and email stored on the Gmail servers (not on your local computer), but could be handled through an App. 

If the email is compiled (via an App) but actually stored on an on-line server (MS or Google), I don't think Avast would be able to add a signature as the source code is isolated from the local system. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David_27

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »

A very simplistic explanation is a Client based email program, stores copies of sent and received emails on your system

If it is the same as Outlook, that uses a Avast add-on actually within the program to handle email scanning (and presumably adding signatures) not the Mail Shield. 

My problem is:
It is a very, very long time ago that every used MS Outlook before I went to Outlook Express and finally to Thunderbird.
I have never used Microsoft's Windows 10 Mail, I thought I would give it a quick try to see what it was. But MS forces you to create an MS Account, so that was the end of my trial.

There are many that no longer use the signature addition, because it could be faked in a spam/scam email and some feel it advertising rather than confidence that the email actually is clean.

Normally Gmail is web based email, viewed through your browser and email stored on the Gmail servers (not on your local computer), but could be handled through an App. 

If the email is compiled (via an App) but actually stored on an on-line server (MS or Google), I don't think Avast would be able to add a signature as the source code is isolated from the local system.

Just to make sure I was clear, the avast signature is working with Gamail both on their website and the Mail app :) It's just not work when sending from an outlook.com email, neither on the website or the app.
Outlook.com uses signature addition, the app too...you can make your won. It's just not working with the Avast signature, if as it's being blocked, like you said, due to spam. I don't know if it's possible to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 02:14:13 PM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2020, 06:44:03 PM »
I'm not sure if I can offer anything further (as an avast user), essentially when the email is sent the email signature would be added to the email before it get sent, effectively modified. 

But the only other think I can think of is what ports are being used as Avast is only monitoring the pop3, IMAP4 and smtp ports.

You could check the Mail Shield Report file and see if there is any activity in it.

Offline David_27

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
I'm not sure if I can offer anything further (as an avast user), essentially when the email is sent the email signature would be added to the email before it get sent, effectively modified. 

But the only other think I can think of is what ports are being used as Avast is only monitoring the pop3, IMAP4 and smtp ports.

You could check the Mail Shield Report file and see if there is any activity in it.

It's weird that Gamil works and Outlook does not, both on the same browser and the same client.
The report only says when the shield was active and for how long, doesn't have any actual email activity...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:23:02 PM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
I don't know why but it would seem that it isn't scanning your email content for  Windows 10 Mail app.  What I don't know is, is the Windows 10 Mail app really MS Outlook under the skin, given your comment about outlook.com.

Offline David_27

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2020, 07:35:44 PM »
I don't know why but it would seem that it isn't scanning your email content for  Windows 10 Mail app.  What I don't know is, is the Windows 10 Mail app really MS Outlook under the skin, given your comment about outlook.com.

It's scanning the Mail app, because if I send an email through the Windows 10 Mail app using my gmail account it works, it's just not working for outlook accounts. I've said that already... Sorry if my english is confusing.
So the problem is not the app, it's the outlook service/account. I've checked all the settings both in the app and in outlook.com and I can't find anything that can fix it...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:41:33 PM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 09:35:03 PM »
Which is why I made the comment about  Windows 10 Mail app and MS Outlook, if they are the same under the skin (and I don't know that) then the mail shield could potentially have the same issue of not scanning its activity.  Which is why I suggested checking the mail shield report file.

Quote from: David_27
The report only says when the shield was active and for how long, doesn't have any actual email activity...

This only confirms my suspicion that it can't or isn't scanning the Windows 10 Mail app activity.

This really needs some input from one of the Avast Team and I will try and attract some attention to the topic.

Offline David_27

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 09:48:58 PM »
But if when using my gmail account, the avast signature appears, shouldn't that mean the mail shield is scanning the Windows 10 Mail app activity?
In the case of the Mail app not being scanned by Mail Shield, is it being scanned by the Web Shield or does that mean it's not being protected?
Ok, thanks.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 09:55:09 PM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 12:16:27 AM »
As I have said I can't go any further on this (we need avast input) as I don't use the Windows 10 Mail app and I only use Gmail as web based email managed through my browser.

Offline David_27

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 05:00:21 AM »
After installing the most recent beta, I can now get the signature using the Outlook.com website in chromium Edge browser. Still not working on the Mail app, only Gmail works on the Mail app.

Offline David_27

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 09:14:13 PM »
After installing the most recent beta, I can now get the signature using the Outlook.com website in chromium Edge browser. Still not working on the Mail app, only Gmail works on the Mail app.

@DavidR I understand now, Avast only scans POP and IMAP, it doesn't scan Microsoft Exchange. Doesn't matter if it's Windows 10 Mail app, or Outlook, it works with Windows 10 Mail app if you manually configure it for POP or IMAP, because the default for @outlook accounts is Exchange.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:18:10 AM by David_27 »