Author Topic: "Skipping" scheduled scans...  (Read 5315 times)

Brian1848

"Skipping" scheduled scans...
« on: September 07, 2006, 05:06:41 AM »
Another question...

We have setup scheduled scans so that they run every day at noon on each of the machines in a clients office.  Runs great.

The question I have is -- is there a way to configure the scheduled scan so that it is "skipped" if the machine isn't on when the scan is scheduled.

The problem I have is if an employee is out of the office for 2-3 days, the next time the scheduled scans run - it runs 2-3 of them.

Thanks,
Brian
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:42:37 AM by Brian1848 »

Brian1848

Re: "Skipping" scheduled scans...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 04:43:10 AM »
I am still looking for a solution for this -- even if it means setting up different jobs for each day of the week.  Can anyone help??

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 09:29:45 AM »
Hi Brian, and let me apologize for not getting back to you earlier (I somehow "missed" your original post, sorry :-\)

I believe ADNM has a feature that is designed EXACTLY for the cases your describing.

When you open the scanning task's properties, you'll notice the "Processing" page. This page offers three controls, one of which is called "Task Session Expiration". This is the option you'll want to modify. It basically tells the management server for how long the session will be held in the "Waiting" state before it actually starts executing. In other words, if the client doesn't start execution of the task before this period expires, the session simply becomes invalid (gets a FAILED status, with the appropriate "Timeout" error code) and will not be run on the machine anymore.

By default, the expiration period is set to 1440 minutes which is equivalent to 24 hours. If you change this to e.g. 30 minutes, you'll confine the scan only to the machines that will be online between 12:00 and 12:30. If a machine is not turned on during this period, the task will not start.

Hope this helps,
Vlk

« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:32:04 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Brian1848

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56:15 PM »
You are THE MAN!   Thanks!!

And no worries about missing it the first time - I forgot that I had even posted it until I found it in a search!  :>)