Author Topic: Firewall Blocking RDP Connections and Ignoring Custom Rules  (Read 3050 times)

Offline uwe1985

Hi All, I'm currently having an issue where I cannot remote desktop into my computer because Avast Firewall is actively blocking in the incoming connection attempts. I cannot for the life of me get it to stop doing this and am becoming very frustrated.

I'm just going to bullet point everything below since I think it will be easier to explain:

System: Windows 10 Pro - Avast Business Antivirus Pro 20.2.2584 (build 20.2.5130.572)
Remote desktop has been enabled in Windows settings.
Remote desktop has been enabled in Avast Firewall System Rules (allow incoming remote desktop connections) along with incoming/outgoing ping requests
Unable to ping computer at all. Ping returns no response/destination host unreachable.
If avast firewall is disabled, RDP and ping work again.
When attempting to connect to the PC, I can actively see both "Host Process for Windows Services" and "System" being blocked in the "Apps recently managed by your firewall" area.
Modifying the rules for those processes to allow all connections for both has zero effect.
Restarting the computer has zero effect.
Reinstalling Avast Premier has zero effect.

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance!

Offline mickey.b

• Business Senior Support Technician
  • Avast team
    • Avast Business Technical Support
Re: Firewall Blocking RDP Connections and Ignoring Custom Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 05:17:47 PM »
Hi All, I'm currently having an issue where I cannot remote desktop into my computer because Avast Firewall is actively blocking in the incoming connection attempts. I cannot for the life of me get it to stop doing this and am becoming very frustrated.

I'm just going to bullet point everything below since I think it will be easier to explain:

System: Windows 10 Pro - Avast Business Antivirus Pro 20.2.2584 (build 20.2.5130.572)
Remote desktop has been enabled in Windows settings.
Remote desktop has been enabled in Avast Firewall System Rules (allow incoming remote desktop connections) along with incoming/outgoing ping requests
Unable to ping computer at all. Ping returns no response/destination host unreachable.
If avast firewall is disabled, RDP and ping work again.
When attempting to connect to the PC, I can actively see both "Host Process for Windows Services" and "System" being blocked in the "Apps recently managed by your firewall" area.
Modifying the rules for those processes to allow all connections for both has zero effect.
Restarting the computer has zero effect.
Reinstalling Avast Premier has zero effect.

I don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance!

I apologize for not responding sooner. If you are using Avast Business Antivirus Managed, please see https://kb.support.business.avast.com/GetPublicArticle?title=Avast-Firewall-Settings-and-Troubleshooting-Guide for more information. If you continue to have issues, please submit a case/ticket at https://www.avast.com/business-support-contact if you haven't done so already.
- Mickey B.
Avast Business Senior Support Technician
https://www.avast.com/business/support