Author Topic: avast! 4 slows down my cpu HELP!!!  (Read 4799 times)

Go Pack Go

avast! 4 slows down my cpu HELP!!!
« on: September 08, 2006, 01:38:44 AM »
I recently installed the latest version of avast! after I saw it was rated pretty high in a Consumer Reports magazine, and also because I had no antivirus protection.  But when I installed it, it slowed down my cpu a LOT! I couldn't even use the internet because it was so slow, but when i stopped avast! and ended all of the processes related to it, it is working tons faster.

I want to still use the on-access protection, but could someone help me fix this problem.

I use a Windows XP SP2.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! 4 slows down my cpu HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 02:15:42 AM »
Have you changed any of the default settings, especially the sensitivity settings as the default should provide a good compromise between performance and protection.

What other security based software do you have that might have an effect, e.g. other resident scanners Spybot S&D (TeaTimer), AdAware (AdWatch), SpySweeper, PrevX, WinPatrol, ProcessGuard, etc. ?

What is your firewall ?

The usual response is that after uninstalling their existing AV and installing avast people find things run quicker. However, if you never ever had an AV installed you would certainly notice a difference. If you have never had an AV installed there is every likelihood you have malware on your system also, it may be seriously compromised.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode.
1. Ewido anti-spyware If using winXP. or a-Squared free if using win98/ME.
2. Ad-Aware
3. Spybot Search and Destroy
4. Spywareblaster Don't install this until you are clean.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 03:16:38 AM »
I want to still use the on-access protection, but could someone help me fix this problem.
Besides David's questions about the sensitivity level, can you post how much RAM memory do you have in your computer?
Did you install any other antivirus in this computer in the past?
The best things in life are free.

Go Pack Go

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 04:03:26 AM »
I have been using Ad-aware for awhile and I started using Spybot S&D, and am using windows defender (beta 2).  I just uninstalled McAfee couple days ago but that wasn't doing anything as far as protecting my computer since it was out of date and the free trial was out of date. I have no real-time protection, i don't think tea timer is running from Spybot, and I have free version of Ad-aware.

I am not that knowledgable about computers so I don't know how to post my RAM.

Thanks for you guys who are helping me!!

Go Pack Go

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 04:05:23 AM »
Oh, and the only firewall I have is Windows Firewall.

By the way, I don't know what the minimal settings are for avast!, I had Standard, Network, and Web running.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 04:23:20 AM »
I just uninstalled McAfee couple days ago but that wasn't doing anything as far as protecting my computer since it was out of date and the free trial was out of date. I have no real-time protection
Did you fully uninstall it?

To remove McAfee you need to do via Add/Remove and then the manual removal of the registry keys left behind with their on-line instructions.
They've released VSCleanupTool to do that either, just go to http://www.us.mcafee.com and click the Tech Support tab (provide your version number in Step 1 and select install/uninstall in Step 2). You can go to their user forum at http://www.forums.mcafeehelp.com if you should have problems or questions.
Check http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=20560.msg172602#msg172602 also.

You can find many free versions of these registry cleaners here:
http://www.snapfiles.com/Freeware/system/fwregtools.html

Mcafee has a uninstall tool that might help.
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/VSCleanupTool.exe

I don't think tea timer is running from Spybot
Check the screenshot.

I am not that knowledgable about computers so I don't know how to post my RAM.
Start Menu > Control Panel > System > the last information on the General tab there...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 02:47:27 PM »
Whilst the windows XP firewall is usually good at keeping your ports stealthed (hidden) it provides no outbound protection and you should consider a third party firewall.

Any malware that manages to get past your defences will have free reign to connect to the internet to either download more of the same, pass your personal data (user names, passwords, keylogger retrieved data, etc.) or open a backdoor to your computer, so outbound protection is essential.

The only other provider I would say you should have running is the Internet Mail provider. Any other avast providers are based on your specific requirements, if you don't use P2P or IM programs you don't need those providers, if you don't use MS Outlook (not express) you don't need the Outlook/Exchange provider (which is usually disabled by default).

What email program do you use and how do you read your email, e.g. do you use your browser to connect and read (web based email) or download with your email program and read it with that (pop3 email) ?

Zone Alarm free http://www.zonelabs.com works fine with avast and has a reasonably friendly user interface. There are others, Jetico, comodo, Sunbelt Kerio, etc.
See some firewall tests for comparison, some are freeware but many are paid for versions http://www.firewallleaktester.com/tests.php. Also see http://www.thefreecountry.com/security/firewalls.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Go Pack Go

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2006, 12:28:18 AM »
I ran the vscleanup tool but it didn't work, it said it couldn't find the file.

When I uninstalled McAfee, I did it after I installed avast!, so should I try uninstalling, then reinstalling it?  If so, should I do the full or minimum install?

Thanks for the help so far.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2006, 12:49:41 AM »
When I uninstalled McAfee, I did it after I installed avast!, so should I try uninstalling, then reinstalling it?  If so, should I do the full or minimum install?
I'm not sure the problem is on McAfee... I won't install it again to avoid even more messing in your computer.
It's difficult to troubleshoot a computer at distance... maybe you should see if into Windows Events (Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Events) there are some errors or further info to help us to help you...

Go Pack Go

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2006, 03:23:18 AM »
Well, I ment reinstalling avast!, not McAfee.

Could someone tell me how to manualy erase the McAfee registry, or does anyone know a better way becausee the McAfee tool said it didn't find anything.