Author Topic: Should I be worried about this?  (Read 3021 times)

Offline kemije8725

Should I be worried about this?
« on: May 06, 2020, 10:38:11 AM »
Hello, last time I checked it was 5.

Now it reached 53 after the update I got few days ago?

I'm surprised. How is this even happening?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Should I be worried about this?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 11:12:11 AM »
I dont use avast, but if i should guess it may be the number of incomming block`s done by your firewall

above the 53 number is a " i "  maybe there is some detailed info if you click it?

« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:16:22 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 11:29:05 AM »
I have yet to allow update to Avast version 20.3, so I don't have the Stats section, but what information do you get if you click the little ! (more information) icon ?

Attacks prevented could be very varied and mean many things, but the only attacks I would be worried about would be those where Avast Alerted and presumably you haven't had any of those  ?

Personally, a long time ago when the Statistics were previously in place, I rarely even looked at them, mainly because the data is historic, it has already happened.  I don't really need avast to tell me how many attacks it has prevented, that is why I have it installed and if serious, surely it would have alerted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kemije8725

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »
I have yet to allow update to Avast version 20.3, so I don't have the Stats section, but what information do you get if you click the little ! (more information) icon ?

Attacks prevented could be very varied and mean many things, but the only attacks I would be worried about would be those where Avast Alerted and presumably you haven't had any of those  ?

Personally, a long time ago when the Statistics were previously in place, I rarely even looked at them, mainly because the data is historic, it has already happened.  I don't really need avast to tell me how many attacks it has prevented, that is why I have it installed and if serious, surely it would have alerted.

This is what it shows.

Offline kemije8725

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
I dont use avast, but if i should guess it may be the number of incomming block`s done by your firewall

above the 53 number is a " i "  maybe there is some detailed info if you click it?

The post above.

Offline kemije8725

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 05:13:26 PM »
I also rarely look. Since march I saw only 5.
Now it showed me 53. Which made me shivered.

Also what does these attacks represent? Someone personally attacking or something else?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 07:16:09 PM »

This is what it shows.

Not very helpful of Avast, worse than useless (just giving information about the function/feature), this is just one of the reasons I rarely bothered with the stats area when it was in the old versions of avast.  Having looked at your first image again, I don't see anything that I would even bother looking at the stats for if this is the level of detail.  It is almost trying to justify its existence, but more likely to scare the horses. 

As I have said I personally wouldn't be worried as whatever these so called attacks are they were blocked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 08:28:50 PM »
It's nothing to worry about.

Attacks prevented can relate to many things such as:

Files detected and blocked by the File Shield including PUAs

Website blocked by the Web Shield

Now in your image, you have selected the Total amount of attacks prevented rather than in the past 30 days.  The total will give you attacks prevented since Avast has been installed. You probably saw 5 attacks in the past 30 days option.

Assuming you haven't enabled Silent Mode where detection alerts are disabled, you are fine.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline kemije8725

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 05:48:09 AM »
I see. Thanks.
As I was quite concerned for a while without knowing what was going on. .