Author Topic: Old settings gone? How to set Hardened mode now?  (Read 8779 times)

Offline David_27

Old settings gone? How to set Hardened mode now?
« on: May 07, 2020, 06:26:21 AM »
Where the old setting remoted in the latest update? How do we switch between Hardened mode moderate or aggressive?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Old settings gone? How to set Hardened mode now?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
The old settings are history.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:11:31 AM »

Another retrograde step with no easy access to settings.

It really is time for a complete revision of this UI with a view to simplicity and ease of use, it's called Intuitive.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:34:49 AM »
It really is time for a complete revision of this UI with a view to simplicity and ease of use, it's called Intuitive.
Hi Dave, don't shoot the messenger... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline David_27

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 02:38:04 PM »
So is Hardened mode aggressive history too?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:48:53 PM by David_27 »

Offline cbino

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 04:25:20 PM »
Can you explain to me where the old settings went?
I asked for it in the other part of the Forum too.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233940.msg1545765#msg1545765
But I would appreciate answers within the reach of a mere ordinary mortal!

Offline cbino

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »
If I have to understand that the old Settings are "history" in the sense that they are now part of the past, then I ask why as soon as the new version was installed I was able to access it for some settings and after only a few hours they disappeared?
It doesn't seem to me that there have been any important updates to modify the user interface to such an extent!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 04:37:59 PM by cbino »

Offline David_27

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 06:44:55 PM »
I don't care for the old settings really, what I care about is the Hardened mode and other few important settings that still aren't present in the new UI. You shouldn't have removed old settings without bringing the important stuff to the new UI first, that was very irresponsible.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 06:46:38 PM by David_27 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 09:03:46 PM »
Hi Dave, don't shoot the messenger... ;)

Got to shoot someone, at least make a noise in the forlorn hope that someone at avast is listening/watching and pays some attention to this pitiful User Interface. 

Even those with the secret handshake and or knowledge of the geek:area (we really shouldn't have to keep mentioning it in the forums, people should know), that is pretty much a single level mess (scrolling forever) to find what you need.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 11:12:41 PM »
The fact Aggressive option is now gone, the feature is ultimately useless now. Before, Hardened Mode Moderate meant avast! got trigger happy on almost any semi suspicious EXE and it was so bad it made it basically useless. Aggressive mode depended on massive whitelist and it was great. You could basically use everything and it just worked, rarely anything got blocked as far as legit apps go.

So, now you're stuck with Moderate which is actually more aggressive, more annoying and more useless.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline David_27

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 11:19:37 PM »
The fact Aggressive option is now gone, the feature is ultimately useless now. Before, Hardened Mode Moderate meant avast! got trigger happy on almost any semi suspicious EXE and it was so bad it made it basically useless. Aggressive mode depended on massive whitelist and it was great. You could basically use everything and it just worked, rarely anything got blocked as far as legit apps go.

So, now you're stuck with Moderate which is actually more aggressive, more annoying and more useless.

Exactly!
Maybe aggressive is now the only option mode, since no one likes moderate. Or maybe they forgot about it when they decided to remove the old settings? And will add it shortly to the new UI... If not, I'll say goodbye to Avast, hardened mode aggressive is what makes Avast the best free antivirus.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:33:40 PM by David_27 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »
Hi guys, Petr asked for feedback/suggestions a while ago.
-> https://forum.avast.com/index.php?msg=1537306

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »

Sorry but the messenger is getting shot again :)

Long before this plea, we had been saying leave it alone, or incorporate them in the geek:area (but make it a visible area/option not hidden by unknown search term.  It's a users system and they should be able to configure it as they require at their own risk, the configurability of Avast is one of the things that attracted me to Avast over 16 years ago. 

I even suggested to put a warning about changing default settings could impact protection levels.  Seems like that suggestion fell on deaf ears also.

I'm also sure when the old settings were removed first time round (before this temporary repreave, people asked for them to incorporated into the bloody geek:area, now people are finding things that were in the old setting which aren't in the geek:area.  The whole geek:area is a mess, a virtual single level scroll fest to try and find anything.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 11:49:03 AM »
Ouch... ;D

Offline chris..

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 08:44:58 PM »

Long before this plea, we had been saying leave it alone, or incorporate them in the geek:area (but make it a visible area/option not hidden by unknown search term.  It's a users system and they should be able to configure it as they require at their own risk, the configurability of Avast is one of the things that attracted me to Avast over 16 years ago. 

I even suggested to put a warning about changing default settings could impact protection levels.  Seems like that suggestion fell on deaf ears also.

I'm also sure when the old settings were removed first time round (before this temporary repreave, people asked for them to incorporated into the bloody geek:area, now people are finding things that were in the old setting which aren't in the geek:area.  The whole geek:area is a mess, a virtual single level scroll fest to try and find anything.
I completely agree with everything you said.
There's no point in avast asking for feedback from users if they don't listen to them when they say things are good and changes are bad... especially for those who are using a paid version. :'(
The basic UI is too light and the geek area menu is undrinkable.
In the past - as far as I'm concerned - avast has already accustomed us to some changes against users' wishes, I'm thinking for example of the statistics as they were in the myavast account (not like now , useless), the display of the devices used, or in a more commercial area , the replacement of avast internet security by the much more expensive premium version...well , for that, it's their policy and they certainly know it's better for them,..., too bad. :-[
It's just my point of view  ;)