Author Topic: Old settings gone? How to set Hardened mode now?  (Read 8858 times)

Offline David_27

Re: Old settings gone? How to set Hardened mode now?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 08:47:24 PM »
I don't mind the mess in geek:area, you can configure it once and then leave it. I just want the aggressive hardened mode back. There should be some notice from Avast by now explaining what's happening, one important feature just disappeared and no one is saying anything about it.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:53:29 PM by David_27 »

Offline exuvo

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »
So what happens to the file shield exclusions i had in the old settings? Are they still there or do i need to manually re add them in the new global exceptions setting?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 01:37:35 AM »
Are they not in the regular Settings > General > Exceptions ?
That is where there are on my previous 20.2.5130.570 version (I have yet to update my program version).  But I can't see any reason why they would change that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline merckxist

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2020, 06:04:08 AM »
The old settings are history.
So is Hardened mode aggressive history too?

FWIW, my updated version of Avast free still shows Open old settings link in Menu>Settings>Troubleshooting at the bottom of the page. If I click the link, the "new" old settings menu(s) appear (takes a few seconds the first GUI session) and the Hardened Mode options show up like before on the General tab.

I used my personal update strategy of downloading the free offline installer and running it on top of the prior version. The installation was done while remaining online. I only use a custom subset of the available products and uncheck the Chrome install.

What I now see in Menu>About is Version: 20.3.2405 (build 20.3.5200.561), Virus definitions: 200508-0, UI version 1.0.512. Not sure if I ended up with a mangled or "non-expert" install, but I did at least verify the DigiCert signature on the download so it should be genuine.

Offline cbino

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
The previous settings disappeared with the update of the user interface to version 1.0.512
In order to make some changes in the previous Settings I followed this procedure:
I reinstalled Avast with the offline installation file, downloaded as soon as the new version 20.3.2405 was released, by disabling the internet connection;
the old Settings were still present in the Settings-Troubleshooting menu and therefore I was able to access them by making the changes that interested me (at the end I also made a backup of the Settings);
I reactivated the internet and, as we wanted to demonstrate, with the update of the user interface from version 1.0.506 (it seems to me) to 1.0.512 the old Settings are gone.
It is clear that I can no longer access it, but what I needed I did.
Unfortunately, I don't think that after importing the saved Settings, it can reactivate the changes made because the wrong policy was to abolish access to the previous Settings and, unfortunately, I believe that this will also be the case in subsequent versions of Avast.
Then after each release of a new version there are serious drawbacks, that the times of switching off and switching on the PC have doubled in the latest versions, etc. .. it seems that it does not interest much.
They lived happily ever after having removed access to the previous Settings!!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 10:26:11 AM by cbino »

Offline David_27

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2020, 05:03:13 PM »
I won't mess with installations... will wait for an update that includes aggressive  hardened mode in the new UI. I wonder why is it taking so long.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2020, 05:15:08 PM »
The old settings are history.
Another retrograde step with no easy access to settings.
It really is time for a complete revision of this UI with a view to simplicity and ease of use, it's called Intuitive.
Hi Dave, don't shoot the messenger... ;)

Got to shoot someone, at least make a noise in the forlorn hope that someone at avast is listening/watching and pays some attention to this pitiful User Interface. 

Even those with the secret handshake and or knowledge of the geek:area (we really shouldn't have to keep mentioning it in the forums, people should know), that is pretty much a single level mess (scrolling forever) to find what you need.

I agree with David about the need for a complete UI rebuild. And I realize many have commented over the past years about the GUI's lack of intuitiveness.
I've had concerns about the direction Avast has taken on the UI development since Version 7

Edit: Avast Version 7 UI was quite a user-friendly UI
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 05:28:20 PM by schmidthouse »

Offline cbino

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
Can the statistics be reset? the scan history can be deleted and I could go on and on ... or do we have to get our hands on the hidden folders or the windows registry to do it?

Offline Pänthéon_

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2020, 01:58:30 PM »
No return?

Offline David_27

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 04:18:16 PM »
I just got an answer from Martin: "yes it's intentional, now the default Hardened mode is the aggressive one."
Good news...looks like moderate is the one removed after all? Won't be missed  ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 10:04:06 PM »
I just got an answer from Martin: "yes it's intentional, now the default Hardened mode is the aggressive one."
Good news...looks like moderate is the one removed after all? Won't be missed  ;D

That is most certainly to one we want if there were only going to be one setting, given RejZoRs reply at Reply #9.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline David_27

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 10:23:37 PM »

That is most certainly to one we want if there were only going to be one setting, given RejZoRs reply at Reply #9.
Yep and looks like it has been done already.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2020, 06:03:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing the info.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline exuvo

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2020, 04:50:09 PM »
Are they not in the regular Settings > General > Exceptions ?
That is where there are on my previous 20.2.5130.570 version (I have yet to update my program version).  But I can't see any reason why they would change that.

No that list is empty for me. I'll just re add everything in case the old exclusions are now defunct.

(and i hate the captcha here)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2020, 06:14:24 PM »
The captcha is an Anti Spam measure and is only there for your first three posts.