Author Topic: What will clicking "resolve now" do to my "sensitive files"???  (Read 4706 times)

Offline ingridcc

What will clicking "resolve now" do to my "sensitive files"???
« on: February 02, 2020, 04:00:30 AM »
Just downloaded the free version and ran it - among other things, under 'advanced issues' it says "136 sensitive items are prime targets for attack" - these being three folders that comprise most of my saved stuff, and a long list of pdf doc. files.
My choice is to "resolve now" or "skip".

What will clicking "resolve now" DO to those folders and files????  Erase them? Modify them? This is somewhat scary, and I don't see any explanation of WHY they are prime targets for attack, or what Avast will be doing in 'resolving' the issues.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!

Offline XdxD

Re: What will clicking "resolve now" do to my "sensitive files"???
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 07:55:59 AM »
Just downloaded the free version and ran it - among other things, under 'advanced issues' it says "136 sensitive items are prime targets for attack" - these being three folders that comprise most of my saved stuff, and a long list of pdf doc. files.
My choice is to "resolve now" or "skip".

What will clicking "resolve now" DO to those folders and files????  Erase them? Modify them? This is somewhat scary, and I don't see any explanation of WHY they are prime targets for attack, or what Avast will be doing in 'resolving' the issues.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice!
Clicking on Resolve would prompt you to pay for Avast Premium Security which has the Ransomware Protection. That's the thing with every free AV except built-in Windows Defender in Windows 10 which has it anyway.

Offline ingridcc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 08:06:00 AM »
Ah! got it, thanks for that info! 

Offline bizadi

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 12:21:24 AM »
I had one of the standard "Your PC is being slowed by xx number of processes.  Click here to see which ones are affected." [That may not be the exact wording but it is close]. When I clicked there were the usual suspects: registry items, update programs, clear cache etc. I just wanted to see which registry items were affected so I clicked on a legit Avast link, which then took me to a "review my account" page (mailing address, billing info. etc). Avast had increased the screen size to MAX and pressing Escape would not "release" it for me. I cried B.S. as I simply wanted to see what Avast was peddling but suddenly I was taken "hostage" by Avast's "ransomware". I am using Chrome on a Win10 machine, fully updated. The only way to get out of the Avast "place your order" page was to CTRL+ALT+DELETE and kill the Avast process. This is not even funny and it really leaves a bad aftertaste. Avast, you are better than this. At least give people a chance to "Cancel" their "order" that they never had ANY INTENTION of placing.

My Avast version: 20.2.2401 (build 20.2.5130.571)

Edit again: Just updated the Avast app, restarted the machine, was immediately taken to a full screen "Welcome to your new Avast..." (or something like that). I took the tour, decided NOT to try the 30 day trial of the Avast "suite" and was once again "held hostage" by Avast, in that there was no immediately intelligible and clear way to exit the app, OTHER THAN using CTRL+ALT+DEL and [temporarily] killing the app.  Booooooo!
New Avast version: 20.3.2405 (build 20.3.5200.561)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 12:51:22 AM by bizadi »