Author Topic: Need an overview  (Read 13443 times)

Spiritsongs

Spybot Updates & SpywareBlaster
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 07:12:21 AM »
 :)  Hi Tech :

The answer to your question may be on the Spybot
       Support Forums at : http://forums.spybot.info .
      I vaguely remember the topic being discussed, but do
      NOt remember if it was on Spybot's forum and/or the
      SpywareBlaster forum at Wilders or both !?

Offline TedNelly

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Trust No-One!
Re: Need an overview
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2006, 09:37:07 AM »
I to have noticed some small glitches between Spybot and Spywareblaster
no biggie really.  If on the very odd occasion  S&D causes a problem, I just re-enable the total protection in SpywareBlaster and re-immunize in S&D works ok for me.
I usually check for updates for them both at the same time.
Windows 10 Pro | Intel I7 CPU | 16 Gig 2133 RAM | Avast beta 17.5.2295 | Firefox 54 b9(64-bit) | Cyberfox 52.1 | T-Bird 52.1.1 | SpyWareBlaster 5.5 | MalwareBytes 3.0.0.865 | WinPatrol 35.5.2 | GlassWire 1.2.100 | Cybereason Ransomfree 2.2.7 |  Pulla-dePlug Final!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2006, 01:54:31 PM »
I have never seen it do that on my system either and I have used both for over three years.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jarmo P

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
I have neither noticed anything. Sure I have seen sometimes that there are unprotected items, but not sure what caused them.
Only, SpyBot's update system, sometimes it hangs and I need to stop the program from Task Manager is really annoying. Plus it takes too much CPU when scanning and that teatimer that is not even running now, was also a resource hog.

Has been at least a month since I used SpyBot last time, might take a look to see if it is behaving. It used to save me by letting stupid Kazaa from startup in something like 3 years ago. Then it was usefull.

And then MS antispyware deleted all my songs I had downloaded, hehe. I had Kazaa uninstalled, but the songs were in that directory, so it quaranteened it or something, but I could not get them back. What can one say of usefullness of that MS antispyware beta, if it quaranteened a folder with no programs there left. Might have gotten better, but not running it either.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 03:52:57 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Spybot Updates & SpywareBlaster
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2006, 03:51:21 PM »
I vaguely remember the topic being discussed, but do NOt remember if it was on Spybot's forum and/or the SpywareBlaster forum at Wilders or both !?
I couldn't find anything...

I have neither noticed anything. Sure I have seen sometimes that there are unprotected items, but not sure what caused them.
Look the screenshot.

Only, SpyBot's update system, sometimes it hangs and I need to stop the program from Task Manager is really annoying. Plus it takes too much CPU when scanning and that teatimer that is not even running now, was also a resource hog.
There is a setting to use low CPU, as you may know...
The best things in life are free.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 03:55:34 PM »
I found the item missed...
OverTure tracing cookie... But I'm not sure which application is 'disabling' the item  ??? ::)

Jarmo P

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 03:57:01 PM »
I know that Tech, SpywareBlaster is a nice program. :)
Not so very much needed since I don't run IE oftenl but sometimes I have to for online scans etc. But a valued one anyways.
Protects my Fox from eevil cookies at least a bit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2006, 04:08:21 PM »
All you need to do is click the Enable All Protection to rectify this should you find any disabled items.

If you are doing regular SpywareBlaster updates you should notice it and be able to correct it easily.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fernando87

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2006, 04:52:30 PM »
In my opinion, Comodo is better than Jetico.  Jetico is very difficult to configure and, in my case, blocked my ADSL connection without any question. I uninstalled it but still without connection (maybe some system file was damaged). So I had to format my pc. Now I have Comodo and it works very well.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:13:20 PM by fernando87 »

Jarmo P

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2006, 05:13:01 PM »
Well, fernando, there are horror stories like that when having installed "security" software. I have not tried Jetico, nor intend, cause I am happy with kerio 2.
It could be good but not easy.

On the other hand I tried Comodo, out of curiosity. Needed to know why all are speaking of it in wilderssecurity forum, here too.
It is only, I have a netphone program that needs to allow all UDP traffic to both incoming and outgoing connections to a certain IP range for all ports.
So Comodo was not working out of box. And there was no way I found to allow those ports only to that application.

I sure checked comodo forum and all I could before I decided to uninstall it. It did not also have a configuration file like kerio 2 that is a simple packet filter with no bloat.
Comodo used windows registry to store all the rules.

Kerio 2, even 4 when it is trusted maybe, allow to make rules for any app with no difficulties. Sygate does that too, but it has a problem with avast's local proxies in loosing outbound control, other than that it is a nice no worrysome firewall.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 05:20:50 PM by Jarmo P »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:02 PM »
All you need to do is click the Enable All Protection to rectify this should you find any disabled items.
Then, after booting or closing SpywareBlaster, and the protection is disabled again.
Something is disabling it...  :P

If you are doing regular SpywareBlaster updates you should notice it and be able to correct it easily.
Not a permanent correction as you can see...

fernando87

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2006, 06:00:21 PM »
Kerio 2, even 4 when it is trusted maybe, allow to make rules for any app with no difficulties. Sygate does that too, but it has a problem with avast's local proxies in loosing outbound control, other than that it is a nice no worrysome firewall.

As I use to say, enjoying a firewall or not is a very personal question  :)  I've already heard about Kerio. It seems to be good firewall, but because comodo has been working so well (until now) and because the "trauma" caused by Jetico  ;D, I do not intend to change it  .

Jarmo P

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2006, 06:14:55 PM »
and because the "trauma" caused by Jetico  Grin, I do not intend to change it  .

I can understand that and what i saw Comodo seemed to be a decent firewall if you don't have many needs for programs to respond as "server".
My post was to calm down this hype and tell, other fw's, they don't have problems running software unlimited.
You could be happy with that one.

Edit
I would not recommend kerio 4 as a replacement. It is a firewall of problems that never have been fixed, or will be I guess :(
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:28:27 PM by Jarmo P »

I Mazza I

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2006, 05:10:19 AM »
cool, I have about 8 days before everything runs out, so I'll give Comodo a try.