Author Topic: Puzzled  (Read 722 times)

Offline risk-reversal

Puzzled
« on: May 11, 2020, 12:35:35 PM »
Hi, wonder if anyone (devs?) can shed some clarity on the following please.

Had to upgrade from Avast AV (free) version 7.0.1474 as I noted the AV definitions for that product are no longer supported. Yes I know v7 is old but the best AV is in between most people's ears!

I have 2 pcs, a desktop and a laptop (Dell D630) both run Win7 and both have the same version Comodo FW. Both run Avast 7. Both have no issues whatsoever.

1. I uninstalled Avast from my laptop using the uninstall utility in safe mode and installed the latest version 20.3.5200 (off line installer)

All went well apart from the 1st reboot which took ages but thereafter, reboot / shut down were fine. Version 20.3.5200 has slowed down the boot time and shut down time but marginally. The Avast UI opens a bit slowly but the D630 is an old laptop with a core2duo 2.5Ghz (T9300) cpu, 4Gb ram.

2. I attempted to do likewise with my desktop (own build) which has an AMD FX6300 cpu (8Gb ram) again using the offline installer.

After installing I had an extremely long wait when rebooting or shutting pc down, sometimes approaching 2 minutes. Not just 1st reboot but all the time.

I had imaged my boot partition on my pc prior to Avast upgrade, so reverted back to it and decided to try an earlier version. The one I tried was 18.2.3827 (again offline installer).

Version 18.2.3827 installed well and there was no hang issue at reboot / shut down. This version did marginally slow things down.

I decided to upgrade version 18.2.3827 via the UI to the latest version 20.3.5200. The result was the same as previously ie pc hung long time on reboot / shutdown.

I did try to stop all startup programs such that I only had Avast AV v 20.3.5200 at boot but no change.

It is eminently clear that version 20.3.5200 was the root case of the issue and that v 18.2.3827 was fine (also did try v10.x as well and that was fine).

Having built pcs for some 20 years or so, I understand that sometimes for no obvious reason programs clash, hardware clashes. I also understand that sometimes trying to get an AV program to work alongside a FW can be difficult if not impossible.

btw, I only installed the File Shield, Web shield, Behavior shield, Mail shield and nothing else.

However, from what I have detailed is there anything that can shed light as to why this is happening.

Many thanks for any info provided
Cheers
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:41:11 PM by risk-reversal »