Author Topic: Desk top Icon flashing.  (Read 1137 times)

Offline robuk

Desk top Icon flashing.
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:09:41 PM »

Hello all.
A quick question: Can you explain to me how often the desktop icon should change from the splodge to a circle in normal mode? and what does this mean?
How different is it when its active to whens its passive.
I have noticed that when I turn on my PC and Avast will check for updates and is active  the icon will change every two seconds or so. Later on in the day it will hardly change at all.
Thanks Rob.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Desk top Icon flashing.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:05:55 PM »
If you have the icon on animate mode (a default I believe), the throbbing is when avast is actually scanning activity (according to your settings) on your system.

So for me, like you when scanning is in progress it changes/cycles around the 2 second mark.  Presently whilst compiling this post is it static on the normal Avast tray icon.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline robuk

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 05:05:32 PM »
Thanks for that. I have to give 10 minutes at the start of my session to do its scan/update or it will slow down my browsing(I have an old PC)
Occasionally it will starting flashing very rapidly after which it will alert me what "Problems" I have and that my IP address is visible, all of which can be solved by upgrading ;D. I expected that, its not too much of a drag as it happens only very few days or so.
Rob

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 10:29:24 PM »
You're welcome.

Yes your comment, the  "Problems" I have and that my IP address is visible (all of which can be solved by upgrading).  That is the cost of the free version of Avast, ads for other paid for components. 

Me I couldn't care less if my IP address is visible, but it pains me that Avast has a privileged position having been installed on my system.  As far as I'm concerned it shouldn't be using that privileged position to 'look over my shoulder' and try to scare me into a purchase.  This goes for any ad on any product or site that tries the hard, scaremongering sell, I will never purchase anything like this and Avast needs to learn that lesson.

You don't mention your system specs ?
My old XP system in my signature (currently not in use) still had a reasonable turn of speed.

Since you have an old system you should consider measures to help speed it up:
1.  Don't let programs run at start up unless they absolutely need to (Avast), almost all programs would love you to run it on boot and for the most part this isn't necessary.

2.  Whilst upgrading an old system might not make economical sense, if you can increase RAM at a reasonable cost, working in RAM is much faster than having to switch back and forth to the pagefile.sys (Swap File) https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/what-is-pagefilesys-3608749/.

3.  Do a little house keeping on your hard drive remove long unused programs, backup images/music, etc. etc. to an external HDD.  This not only gives you more space and protects that data from potential loss (malware/ransomware).  This would allow a defrag of the primary HDD that could also improve performance.

Please excuse any of the comments if I appear to insult your knowledge, I don't know it and this topic could help others who view it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline robuk

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 07:37:08 AM »
DavidR Thank you.

I have Windows 7. My PC is about 15 years old. 3gh dual core but only 2gb Ram. I shan't bother upgrading,I will wait to get a second hand macbook.
I agree with your comments about the way the upgrade ads work,mainly through fear that your IP is visible and other so called problems,it assumes that everyone has no PC know how at all and would easily be feared into upgrading.
It's a shame that's the way they market their upgrades. I don't mind adverts, I except that's price of free protection, but the way they do it is a bit creepy.
Regards
R

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »
Not sure about the Macbook as an upgrade path though :)

I have stayed away from Apple products from the start, I just don't like their walled garden approach and effectively locked in to the Apple products from then on.  Yes they have some very nice products, but at a premium price added to the walled garden.

Offline robuk

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 04:15:37 PM »
DavidR
Yes Apple is very expensive and not to every ones taste but I have an older Iphone and I like their system and their in built security.(and I will be using there music software in the future)
Kind regards
Rob