Author Topic: How do I remove this device from my network?  (Read 2752 times)

Offline MalcolmMan

How do I remove this device from my network?
« on: May 13, 2020, 12:02:14 PM »
I recently purchased Avast Premium Security on my computer and ran a network scan. After the scan, I found several unfamiliar devices connected to my network. I immediately change the password on my network and made sure that the security mode was set WPA2. I also restarted the network and ran another network scan. When the second network scan finished, I saw two of the unknown devices had disappeared and that one device was remaining. I tried to figure out if I recognized the device, but the IP address on it did not match the IP address on any of the devices that I have. I want to remove this device but I seem to be having trouble.  Strang thing is, my ISP is Xfinity and on the Xfinity xFi page, I can see all the devices that have connected to my network in the past, and none of the unknown devices I discovered after I preformed the network scan appeared on the device list. I only became aware of their existence after I ran a network scan with Avast. Does anyone know how this happened? And, does anyone know how I can remove that unknown device from my network? BTW, the name of the unknown device is Arris which leads me to believe that the device that may be connected to my network is Arris brand cable modem. Also, my OS is windows 10 and I installed the Avast VPN after I discovered the networks. I renewed my IP address several times as well. I'm a novice at dealing with hackers and I really need some tips on how to deal with this issue.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: How do I remove this device from my network?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 10:06:16 AM »
Hi,

Are your router and modem separate or do you have a router with a built-in modem?
Is the brand different from the one mentioned in your post?