Author Topic: Problem with AVAST Updating  (Read 3250 times)

abitfishy

Problem with AVAST Updating
« on: September 08, 2006, 12:09:25 PM »
Hi all,
Running Avast home, registration is up to date, however I am having trouble - it will not update, keeps coming up with cannot connect to server.  Also testing the connection within the update settings area, also can't connect.

I came here previously (it started a week or 2 ago) to see if it was a current problem people were having and it seems not, so I attempted to uninstall and reinstall, and it would not let me (uninstall would not start uninstalling the program), so I downloaded the special avast uninstall program, which uninstalled it ok.  I rebooted and reinstalled.

Guess what, same problem - not updating. 

At the same time, I need to diable web shield and internet mail on access protection control, or it blocks web browsing and email altogether.  Doing this I can use email and browse ok, but still not updating.

I could uninstall and reinstall again, but wondering since I have already done that, whether there is something else I could check/do.

Many thanks
Martin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem with AVAST Updating
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 01:43:40 PM »
Hello Martin, welcome.

Can you basically check:

1) If the servers.def file is corrupt or 0KB (C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\servers.def).
    You can try and download the servers.def file, http://files.avast.com/iavs4x/servers.def and replace the one in the avast setup folder.

2) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired).

3) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

4)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.

abitfishy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 02:57:30 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic response.  Many software makers could learn a bit from you guys.

Well, at one stage I had Sygate Firewall installed, but have not noticed its icon loading at startup so assumed I had got rid of it at sometime.  It seems I hadn't, that it wasn't loading properly, but was still memory resident.  So its now uninstalled and its all working perfectly.

My faith in AVAST is restored.

Thanks again
Martin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 03:12:49 PM »
Wow, what a fantastic response.  Many software makers could learn a bit from you guys.
Well, I'm an user like you  8)
Maybe Alwil should *recognize even more* we're helping on forums  ;)

Well, at one stage I had Sygate Firewall installed, but have not noticed its icon loading at startup so assumed I had got rid of it at sometime.  It seems I hadn't, that it wasn't loading properly, but was still memory resident.  So its now uninstalled and its all working perfectly. My faith in AVAST is restored.
But you should have a firewall... If, for any reason, you want to test any other besides Sygate, I'll suggest Comodo, or Kerio, or ZoneAlarm, or Jetico (all free).
If you need help on setting both the firewall and avast, just ask  ;)
The best things in life are free.