Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.881)  (Read 198593 times)

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.881)
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2006, 02:05:24 AM »
It's for all supported systems, i.e. from Windows 95 till Vista 64 bit ;)

GREAT...I will test the beta ASAP!  :)
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2006, 02:51:42 AM »
ashEnhcd.exe of 4.7.883 incompatible?
Any news about this?  ::)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2006, 06:22:03 PM »
You can ignore any "not compatible with Vista" prompts, they will not be present in Vista RTM.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2006, 03:40:30 AM »
Sorry guys, I'll dive little off topic, even though Vista topic is off-topic itself  ;D (the name of this thread has nothing to do with Vista, so I guess I can ask something regarding XP).

Anyway, after the last avast! update (which was today I believe, at least avast! announced some change and I had to reboot) I'm having some troubles... Comodo Firewall is alarming me about ashServ.exe every single time I reboot my computer and log in to Windows again. I have that checkbox checked all the time (to remember my choice next time) and I really don't have problems with other applications and Comodo not remembering the settings...

MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

mouniernetwork

« Reply #79 on: September 17, 2006, 03:46:02 AM »
Thats normal I think its because everytime it must be connecting to a different server  ;)
Please tell me if I'm wrong.

Al968

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #80 on: September 17, 2006, 03:50:53 AM »
Well I'm sorry but I don't think this is normal behaviour. For the last 3 years I have never had problem like this, and certainly Comodo should remember my choice if I "told" it to remember. Unless, avast! is constantly changing something in its settings every time you reset your system.

Any thoughts Alwil ?
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2006, 03:29:39 PM »
Well I'm sorry but I don't think this is normal behaviour. For the last 3 years I have never had problem like this, and certainly Comodo should remember my choice if I "told" it to remember. Unless, avast! is constantly changing something in its settings every time you reset your system.
]
As a workaround, because I don't know why Comodo is doing that and if avast.setup is being changed in someway, as a workaround, you can make avast.setup as a trusted application in Comodo. If the parent application changes, I mean, if you update from the icon, ashdisp.exe will be the parent, or ashSimpl.exe or ashEnhcd.exe or ashupd.exe ...

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #82 on: September 17, 2006, 04:00:59 PM »
I don't know why comodo is flagging ashServ.exe as the parent of avast.setup, I thought that ashUpdSv.exe was the calling/initiating program for avast.setup and as such the parent.

I have similar stuff on Outpost Pro (hidden process) when a program launches another and I have to authorise that program.

Perhaps we are seeing a similar issue to ZA where it forgets the permissions, etc. and deletion of the entry for avast.setup followed by a manual update might do the trick.

But, like Tech said the parent could change and on boot seems a strange time to be alerted as at that point there shouldn't have been a change of avast.setup. In theory it shouldn't exist at that time until a connection is established (auto connect broadband, etc.) and ashUpdSv.exe checks for updates and if there avast.setup would need to be created. So I'm just as confused as you are.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #83 on: September 17, 2006, 04:06:54 PM »
Hmmm... and funny thing is I have exactly the same program set on my laptop as I do on my desktop machine. Never ever experienced this on my laptop, not a single time, but I've noticed it started to happen on my desktop since yesterday after that last avast! update. Desktop is AMD and laptop is Intel, but that shouldn't make any difference anyway. I just mentioned it for camparision reasons. Comodo latest version on both, and avast! Home Edition with different serial keys on both machines too.

Cheers !

P.S. I will try to completely clean Comodo's permissions for avast! and see what happens.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2006, 05:35:55 PM »
Comodo latest version on both, and avast! Home Edition with different serial keys on both machines too.
Sasha, is your alert level set to High? On both computers?

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2006, 05:41:03 PM »
No, it's set to low (on both machines)... I want as less annoying messages as possible.

pjo123

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2006, 12:47:17 AM »
Hi, new to Avast, been a zone Alarm Security Suite person up till now, but as I'm trying out RC1, you were recommended to me.

Using the latest version 4.7.883.  (pro)

All installed perfectly and runs OK, but I have one small problem.  I'm running Thunderbird mail, and it takes a lot longer to download my emails with Avast running. That I can put up with.

But I subscribe to a few mail groups and I delete a lot of emails a day. With Avast disabled, I can keep clicking the delete button and my emails instantly go to the deleted folder. With Avast running, it takes around 20 secs to delete each email.

I initially tried to think logically and thought maybe because I'm deleting unread emails, Avast is checking each email as when I click on the delete button, the next unread email appears in the message window. But I tried with `read` emails and it still takes forever to delete them.

I have all my protection set to high as I want good protection, but have I set something wrong, is there a bug (I realise this is beta), I cant see why after email has been downloaded (and presumably virus checked) simply deleting an email wound cause so much hassle?

Thanks

Phil

AMD Athlon 64 3400+
Vista RC1 5600 64 bit
Asus K8V MB
2GB Ram
Geforce 6800 GT 256MB
Over 200GB free space (SATA)
X-FI sound card
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 12:49:07 AM by pjo123 »

Offline chocholo

• Poster
  • BSC, GSC, MCP
    • Avast
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2006, 09:15:05 AM »
High level is useful if you are suspecting that your computer is not OK, almost all files are scanned and almost all packed files are unpacked, this helps in investigating of potential problems but also consume a lot of resources. Standard level (at least for standard shield) is enough.
In your case is probably unpacked and scanned Thunderbird's mailbox file everytime you delete something in it.

joooo

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
Hello for all.
 Already they know when will be launched the new version?
The avast is very good.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2006, 12:40:18 PM »
pjo123

I am using the latest avast beta update and Thunderbird 1.5.0.7.

I am experiencing no slowdown in receiving mail or deleting mail. 

I would be fairly certain that your problem is with Thunderbird.  Thunderbird does not handle file space very well and it requires that its users take care of it. 

When you delete a mail message in any avast folder it is not deleted at all, it is simply flagged to be not displayed any more, but it is still there and the folder just gets bigger and bigger.  It is also copied to the trash folder (which gets bigger and bigger).  So it is important to empty the trash folder too. 

The only way to really delete mail messages in Thunderbird and to get control of the space it is using is to regularly compact the folders.  (If you check the Thunderbird support forums you will find the folks there giving this advice to many of the problem reports).

It is also not a good idea to keep all you mail messages in the Inbox, if you have a lot there consider moving them to another folder.

There is an option in Thunderbird (Tools > Options > Advanced > Offline & Diskspace tab) to have Thunderbird compact folders.  I use an extension called Xpunge which provides a combined trash emptying and compacting function.

Bottom line - I think you will see a considerable improvement if you empty the trash folders and then compact all your folders.  If you care to search this forum using the keywords Thunderbird and compact you will find quite a few others have.