Author Topic: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.881)  (Read 198651 times)

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Re: * Introducing * - beta version of upcoming avast update (4.7.881)
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2006, 04:47:15 PM »
The last refresh of the beta has now been released. It has a version number of 4.7.887.
To install it, either invoke a program update from an already installed beta version (4.7.881 or 883) or use the links given in the first post of this thread (the URLs have not changed).

Except it still says  http://files.avast.com/files/beta/4.7.881/setupeng.exe inside the link name.

Maybe it would be a good idea to change that too because for example...

I have no clue for what reason, but sometimes forum won't inform me about new replies in this thread even though I am subscribed and I'm watching this thread. Sometimes, have not much time to go through all new posts and replies and I just check first page to see if there is something new. Since I don't see anything changed inside those links (on first eye sight) I simply leave this thread.

I also had some troubles with 883 on Vista since this morning. Security center alarmed me that VPS is out of date or my Virus protection is outdated or something like that. I wasn't able to update to new version which is now I see, version 4.7.887. I tried manual update and it wouldn't work, so I thought there is nothing new.

I am downloading this new version to see what happens after. But as I said it would be good to change those link names every time you change update link.

Thanks in advance!
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

alecalixto

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2006, 08:46:07 PM »
The last refresh of the beta has now been released. It has a version number of 4.7.887.

To install it, either invoke a program update from an already installed beta version (4.7.881 or 883) or use the links given in the first post of this thread (the URLs have not changed).

I'd be grateful if you could try to simulate any outstanding issues you have had with builds 871/881/883 and report if this new build has any effect.

If everything goes well, the update will be officially released on Friday.

Cheers
Vlk

If my Avast isn't a beta one, the update won't work, that's it?

With official version released the update will upgrade to RC1 compatible version by itself?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »
If my Avast isn't a beta one, the update won't work, that's it?
Yes. You need to download the beta in this case.

With official version released the update will upgrade to RC1 compatible version by itself?
It should.
Right now, you can't upgrade to beta or you can use the ashbeta.exe tool to go from the official to beta. It won't work for Vista because you need to install from the scratch.
The best things in life are free.

alecalixto

« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
Just one issue: my Avast, due to incompatibility with Windows Vista RC1, apparently is not updating automaticaly. I right-clicked the "a" logo at taskbar, then "Updating", then "Program Update" but an error message appeared and the program couldn't update... How the compatible version of Avast will then be installed?

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2006, 02:23:01 PM »
Just one issue: my Avast, due to incompatibility with Windows Vista RC1, apparently is not updating automaticaly. I right-clicked the "a" logo at taskbar, then "Updating", then "Program Update" but an error message appeared and the program couldn't update... How the compatible version of Avast will then be installed?

What version do you have of Avast? You can update to the latest beta (thru the update-feature in Avast) .887 if you already have beta .881 or .883 installed, otherwise, you must install the beta from scratch.

What does the error message say?

The latest official version of Avast is 4.7.871, and you can't update to the beta with the update-feature in Avast, if you have 4.7.871 installed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:26:17 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

alecalixto

« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »
I got v4.7.871... Do I need to install the beta version anyway? My current version do not upgrade to compatible version?

If positive, do I need to uninstall this version and install the beta one or could I install over current version?

Could you please send to me the download link?

alecalixto

« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2006, 02:30:16 PM »
By the way, I do not need beta version, I prefer the official release... So, my current 871 version will be updated to new final version or even to final one I need to install first one beta version?

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2006, 02:39:06 PM »
By the way, I do not need beta version, I prefer the official release... So, my current 871 version will be updated to new final version or even to final one I need to install first one beta version?

I also prefer the official release, so I don't install the beta, I will wait for the next official release. 4.7.871 is working just fine here, so I will stick to this version some more days.

When the new official version is released, you can use the update-feature in Avast and update to the latest version.

I think we will have a new release really soon.

Edit: I was interested to install the beta as it has the swedish language, I wanted to test that as swedish is my native language, but I will wait for the official release.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:51:18 PM by Bluesman »
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

alecalixto

« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2006, 02:42:45 PM »
Yes, that's also my idea...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2006, 04:23:43 PM »
It's not a problem of this avast version or of this beta.
Vista handles updates/access rights differently than XP.
Final avast verstion for Vista will have this (or improved) feature  ;)

I got v4.7.871... Do I need to install the beta version anyway? My current version do not upgrade to compatible version?
Install the last beta and the compatibility issues will be gone. Remember, this was generated by Vista RC1 and NOT avast.
The beta is a workaround to solve Vista problems. The new Vista version, probably, will have this issue corrected.

If positive, do I need to uninstall this version and install the beta one or could I install over current version?
Do not upgrade or reinstall.
Better and safer is download the last beta, uninstall, boot, install the last beta, boot  :)

Could you please send to me the download link?
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23424.msg193183#msg193183 (disregard the version numbers as the new exe files was overwritten by the last beta version).

You don't need to use or install the beta to get the last official release.

ssepan

« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2006, 06:40:34 PM »
Vlk,
  You guys rock! Thanks.
Steve

--using Vista (build 5600) and Avast (4.7.887)

alecalixto

« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »
Any news about the official version (not beta) for WinVista RC1?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2006, 09:08:59 PM »
Any news about the official version (not beta) for WinVista RC1?
Well, the point is not a new official avast (not beta) for Vista but, on contrary, a new Vista.
There won't be an official release of avast to Vista RC1 5600. Vista has the incompatibility problem.
There is a new Vista (5728.16387.060917-1430) and it has other problems with avast (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23758.msg195724#msg195724:P

alecalixto

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2006, 09:46:05 PM »
The message from forum that you sent says "The new (Vista-compatible) avast is JUST being released so it's not really a beta anymore." so will or will not there an official release? What do I do? Install the 887? Wait a few more for the official release?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2006, 10:26:01 PM »
Wait a few more for the official release?
You ALREADY can update to the new version (4.7.892).