Author Topic: Avast not transparent or controllable by user  (Read 982 times)

Offline jonsevy

Avast not transparent or controllable by user
« on: May 16, 2020, 07:56:41 PM »
Hello, friends.

I had to cancel my Premium subscription. The program was just too busy running without my supervision or approval, shutting me out of wifi with no explanation or option to correct. Just opaque.

Another example just now. I like the idea of the Boot-time scan, and clicked on download specialized definitions - expecting some explanation of what they are, what they do, and choice of which ones I want.  None of that came up. The "installed and ready for use" screen is attached.

No information on how I can manage this feature.

If I cannot manage the program and easily find out and test what it has done, how can I keep using it???

If you have a solution for me, other than finding another good, subscription protection program, I'm open. My computer tech, whom I trust, recommended Avast, but the reviews I've seen from the last couple of years are a far cry from 10 years ago! From 4-5 stars to 1-2 stars dominate.

Sorry for the bummer email. I'd like to be a happy subscriber.

Jonathan

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast not transparent or controllable by user
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
The boot time only happens in Safe Mode, and requires the computer to restart in order for Avast to boot it into Safe Mode and run the boot time scan.

So did you click the Run on next PC reboot button in the screenshot ?

You can check the settings before running the Boot Time scan - AvastUI . Menu > Settings > Protection > Protection > Boot Time scan - check and adjust as required, come back out and run the scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jonsevy

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2020, 12:20:30 AM »
We appreciate your reply, DavidR. It was not directed to our question and concerns. Thank you, though.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 01:33:18 AM »
You're welcome.

I only replied to the Boot Time scan given your attached image.

As an Avast Free user I couldn't address your other issues, but there is rather a lot to learn new ways when using a new AV program (and Avast Premium has a lot of functionality).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security