Author Topic: Avast going out if it's way to show my IP to stream viewers?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Asmodeus

Hey,

I use Avast and I have for a very long time. It's what I advice any family or friends to get.

I understand and I accept the fact that there will be in-app advertisement for payed versions.
But if I'm streaming and I'm clicking through stuff and Avast goes "Heey! I got something you need to know!"
And I go, yeah? what?
"Your IP is visible: 92.14.82.91"
Well... now it is, yeah... thank you.
At that point you're starting to be a problem, not a solution. Maybe try to scare people in some other way? Would be very helpful, thank you!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 09:18:51 PM by Asmodeus »

Offline davexnet

• Poster
Re: Avast going out if it's way to show my IP to stream viewers?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 09:34:43 PM »
avast has been doing this and similar for years.  It *IS* invasive, up to you if you want to
put up with it or not
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
It's the cost of free, I obviously have a high tolerance factor, I just ignore them.

If anything they actually put me off ever purchasing when methods like this (fear factor) are used.  It doesn't matter who pushes this type of ad, there is absolutely no way I will purchase when these sort of tactics are used.  Avast marketing need to learn this lesson.

I know my IP address is visible and I couldn't care less, after all Avast is there to protect me :)

If I was ever concerned about my IP address being visible, I would seek a solution and it wouldn't be the one being shoved down my throat by intrusive ads.  It wouldn't be the one that is supposed to protect my back rather than the one looking over my shoulder and pushing ads.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline davexnet

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:05 PM »
Well explained DavidR

I would say avast have made a choice: trying to take advantage of novice users (much higher % of users)
and risk losing the more advanced experienced PC users who can see it for what it is.

And what a cynical choice it is
AMD FX-4300 4GB DDR3
avast free 2279 (Windows XP), MBAM free