Author Topic: After running Avast, I can ping but can't browse the internet!  (Read 5566 times)

Bishop373

After running Avast, I can ping but can't browse the internet!
« on: September 09, 2006, 04:54:20 AM »
I recently set up a wireless network in my home.  One pc is wired and my pc is connected wirelessly.  My OS is Windows XP home.  Well everything was fine until the next day.  My antivirus protection had expired and I think that my pc became infected, as it would completely freeze up every fifteen minutes, so I downloaded Avast 4.7 and ran it.  I stupidly didn't pay attention to what I was putting in the vault and Winsock.dll, win32.dll and kernel32.dll all ended up inside.  Well at this point, I couldn't browse any websites through IE.  I was connected to my wireless network and had an excellent signal, but still had no luck.  This is when I discovered that the above mentioned files had ended up in the vault.  I tried using Winsockfix, releasing and renewing my IP, deleting temp internet files and cookies, unclicking all 3 boxes in LAN settings.  I even tried to restore the 3 files from the vault.  In the end I am able to ping the router and www's but cant view a website.  HELP!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: After running Avast, I can ping but can't browse the internet!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 05:05:35 AM »
I stupidly didn't pay attention to what I was putting in the vault and Winsock.dll, win32.dll and kernel32.dll all ended up inside.
These files weren't moved to Chest.
They're that for backup purposes (copied, not moved).

Well at this point, I couldn't browse any websites through IE.  I was connected to my wireless network and had an excellent signal, but still had no luck.  This is when I discovered that the above mentioned files had ended up in the vault.  I tried using Winsockfix, releasing and renewing my IP, deleting temp internet files and cookies, unclicking all 3 boxes in LAN settings.  I even tried to restore the 3 files from the vault.  In the end I am able to ping the router and www's but cant view a website.  HELP!!
Try just disabling WebShield provider and see what you get...

Which firewall do you use? I suppose you're using Windows XP...
The best things in life are free.

Bishop373

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2006, 05:11:19 AM »
It worked!  BTW, I am using the windows xp firewall.  Should I enable that while webshield is terminated?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2006, 05:17:40 AM »
It worked!
Now, let's solve the problem as grown people and not just losing protection...  ;)
Do you use any proxy application (like annonimizers)?
Now, instead of disabling, if you just:
1. Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu). If it doesn't help, try switching the proxy settings from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
2. Left click the avast icon > Settings > Update (Connections) > Proxy
Which is your browser?

BTW, I am using the windows xp firewall.  Should I enable that while webshield is terminated?
Only XP Firewall? You won't have outbound protection...
Anyway, you could enable it.
The best things in life are free.