Author Topic: avast cleanup turn off shared access  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Trường7

avast cleanup turn off shared access
« on: May 18, 2020, 07:45:00 PM »
I haved a shared folder. After installing avast cleanup, it recomment that folder should turn off shared access ("your folder 'users' may be visible to others. Turn off shared access to help prevent others from accessing your files"). Now i can't access it from my pc and other pc. How i can turn on shared access?

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: avast cleanup turn off shared access
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »

Offline Trường7

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »
Hi,

You can try to undo the changes.
https://support.avast.com/en-ww/article/211/#idt_0350

Hello,

Thank for your reply but I can't see any buttons to undo this action.

Offline r@vast

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 08:21:31 AM »
Hi,

Hello,

Hi, the link would have taken you to this section in the article:
What is the Rescue Center?
The Rescue Center allows you to undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium. To access the Rescue Center, click the rescue icon on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface. You can view a list of actions and click Undo next to any action you want to undo.

(Please see the attached screenshot. The orange arrow is pointing to the Rescue Center icon/button)

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 03:36:12 PM »
Hi,

Hello,

Hi, the link would have taken you to this section in the article:
What is the Rescue Center?
The Rescue Center allows you to undo certain changes made by Avast Cleanup Premium. To access the Rescue Center, click the rescue icon on the right side of the Avast Cleanup Premium interface. You can view a list of actions and click Undo next to any action you want to undo.

(Please see the attached screenshot. The orange arrow is pointing to the Rescue Center icon/button)

Hi,

we really apologize for the inconveniences but unfortunately this particular action is not backed up by the Rescue Center feature.
However I just tested it on my virtual machine and if you turned off the shared access to an affected folder you could enable it back by turning on public sharing settings in Windows and then share the folder again via properties.

I am not sure which Windows version you might have but I took a screenshot from my Windows 10 settings so you could find it on your own easily.

Please let me know if it helps and meanwhile I will check how we could add this actions into the Rescue Center as well so next time it is more convenient to revert the settings directly in our product.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 03:46:02 PM by Stellarman »

Offline rxc

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
I just ran Avast Cleanup Premium, and received a message that Avast had turned off shared access to four folders that I share, for access on my LAN with other devices.  I checked the sharing permissions for these folders, and the settings had not been changed, except for the one master setting that made all the files in the folders "Read only".  I could still get thru to the folders, but I removed that particular setting.  It is not clear to me exacetly what this particular aspect of Avast Cleanup does, or thinks it does, but I would suggest that before you change sharing permissions in cleanup, you should ask permission, because lots of people share files on LANs, especially at home, and this could cause all sorts of aggavation.

I know that security people like to keep everything locked down, "for your protection", but in a home LAN, people want to be able to share files.  Please do not mess with these settings unless you ask permission first, and make it clear exactly what you want to do.  EXACTLY and specifically.  If the user does not understand what is being done, they cannot make an informed decision to allow it to happen.

UPDATE:  It appears that Avast still wants to restrict access to these folders, because the "Read only" attribute is being reset after I turn it off.  Is Avast constantly looking at this, and undoing my attempts to undo AVAST?  If so, how can I turn it off, and stop it from doing this?

UPDATE 4:  And I am now having problems with programs on my phone accessing music on my laptop, now.  HOW CAN I STOP AVAST FROM RESTRICTING NETWORK ACCESS TO FILES?

UPDATE 2:  I am running Windows 11 on a DELL laptop.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2021, 06:23:23 PM by rxc »

Offline rxc

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 06:29:23 PM »
Attached is  a copy of the screenshot I took of the behavior:

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:51:59 PM »
I just ran Avast Cleanup Premium, and received a message that Avast had turned off shared access to four folders that I share, for access on my LAN with other devices.  I checked the sharing permissions for these folders, and the settings had not been changed, except for the one master setting that made all the files in the folders "Read only".  I could still get thru to the folders, but I removed that particular setting.  It is not clear to me exacetly what this particular aspect of Avast Cleanup does, or thinks it does, but I would suggest that before you change sharing permissions in cleanup, you should ask permission, because lots of people share files on LANs, especially at home, and this could cause all sorts of aggavation.

I know that security people like to keep everything locked down, "for your protection", but in a home LAN, people want to be able to share files.  Please do not mess with these settings unless you ask permission first, and make it clear exactly what you want to do.  EXACTLY and specifically.  If the user does not understand what is being done, they cannot make an informed decision to allow it to happen.

UPDATE:  It appears that Avast still wants to restrict access to these folders, because the "Read only" attribute is being reset after I turn it off.  Is Avast constantly looking at this, and undoing my attempts to undo AVAST?  If so, how can I turn it off, and stop it from doing this?

UPDATE 4:  And I am now having problems with programs on my phone accessing music on my laptop, now.  HOW CAN I STOP AVAST FROM RESTRICTING NETWORK ACCESS TO FILES?

UPDATE 2:  I am running Windows 11 on a DELL laptop.

Hi,

First of all let me sincerely apologize for all troubles associated with usage of our product.
This is not intentional behavior and we definitely do not want to create any confusion with our features.

Based on your description it seems that this feature behaves a bit odd and it is not how it is supposed to be but we are not able to simulate the same case in our environment therefore I would like to ask you whether you could provide us with the logs from your PC?
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically sent to our server.
Once it is done, please send me your email address you have used there into PM so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Offline BHA

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 07:14:32 PM »
So how do you fix this and turn the Folder Sharing back on?  This is very frustrating, to not be able to share the info on the home network.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2022, 04:34:45 PM »
So how do you fix this and turn the Folder Sharing back on?  This is very frustrating, to not be able to share the info on the home network.

Hi,

we already added an option to revert these changes via "History" on the right side panel (see the attached screenshot).

If that option for some reason does not work for you, please contact our Support and they will help you to resolve it: https://support.avast.com/en-ww/index/#pc