Author Topic: New Problem with outgoing mail  (Read 3583 times)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
New Problem with outgoing mail
« on: January 23, 2004, 11:10:12 PM »
Hi all,

Weird new one happened to me this afternoon -- all of a sudden, my outgoing mail is being totally stripped of its subject-line and all content.  Incoming mail appears to remain just fine.

I tried turning off the scan of outgoing mail, with no change in results, and finally turned off the email resident provider entirely with still no improvement.  I'm guessing this probably indicates the problem isn't with avast, but I'm certainly open to suggestions as to anything I might have missed in avast.

Incidentally, I sent myself a test email which came through fine, but of course that bypasses most of the STMP/POP routine so doesn't really tell me anything.

I'm on 4-Home (4.1.335 w/ 0401-1), and mailer is Eudora 6 in sponsored mode.  I've checked the Eudora setup options and nothing there jumps out at me as having been changed, and I've also run an avast thorough scan which turned up nothing.

Any other ideas?

Thanks and best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:New Problem with outgoing mail
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 11:15:23 PM »
Do you use Eudora?
Unfortunately, there seems to be a bug in .335 that might cause this. :(

We've already had couple of similar reports... It's likely that we'll have to release a new program update early next week...

It seems that the problem is strictly Eudora-related.

Sorry for this,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2004, 11:29:28 PM »
Thanks, Vlk - if nothing else, it's nice to hear that it probably wasn't something I personally messed up. :)

I'm a little surprised that stopping the intermail provider entirely didn't clear up the problem.

I'd guess that my best choice at this point might be to use the Add/Remove Programs/Change and take out the email provider?  And of course change Eudora's server settings back to "normal".  Or do your experts think there might be something else in avast involved too, besides that provider?  I'll give it a try, anyway, can't hurt anything that I can think of.

Thanks again, and best,
Mike

(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

BigAl

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2004, 11:43:12 PM »
You can read more by checking the topic "Mail Bounces Back". If you go to program files/Alwil Software/Avast4/ashPOPWz, select next, then choose Set up manually and only check for incoming mail, it should let your mail go out. I had the same problem with Eudora and after doing this, it seems to work ok.

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 12:20:18 AM »
Thanks, BigAl,

By the time I saw your reply, I'd already gone the add/remove route, and that seems to work just fine.  What the heck, my ISP uses excellent VirusGuard anyway -- and probably 99 percent of email viruses are in attachments, which I hope we've all got enough sense to avoid (exe's and other executables, anyway).

And it was even simpler that I thought -- I'd forgotten that if you remove the email provider, rather than simply stop it, your mailer's server settings automatically get set back to what they were before avast got into the act.

Best,
Mike