Author Topic: Unsolicited Smart Scan  (Read 1656 times)

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Unsolicited Smart Scan
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:00:06 PM »
I have just returned to my PC and surprisingly found the Avast UI displayed indicating that a Smat Scan had finished.
I had not had the UI open and certainly not asked for Smart Scan to run, so why did it happen on its own accord?
I don't want this to happen again.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Unsolicited Smart Scan
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 08:11:47 PM »
Check your 'Custom Scans' section in Virus Scans and make sure "Smart Scan" isn't scheduled (by default) to run (weekly or monthly can't remember)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
Check your 'Custom Scans' section in Virus Scans and make sure "Smart Scan" isn't scheduled (by default) to run (weekly or monthly can't remember)

You have to be careful when running the so called Smart Scan.  Once you run it once, if you check the findings, etc. afterwards you will see the run this scan every X (duration) days/weeks check box is checked.  So you inadvertently get a scheduled scan, you need to ensure you set it duration to Never.

For me this 'Not so damn' Smart Scan is more of a tool to offer other paid avast products than any real use to me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 08:56:13 PM »

You have to be careful when running the so called Smart Scan.  Once you run it once, if you check the findings, etc. afterwards you will see the run this scan every X (duration) days/weeks check box is checked.  So you inadvertently get a scheduled scan, you need to ensure you set it duration to Never.

For me this 'Not so damn' Smart Scan is more of a tool to offer other paid avast products than any real use to me.

That's correct on all accounts David.
I noticed the Smart Scan scheduled by default after a Clean Install. AND yes you have to watch for and "uncheck" the scheduled scan after it is run

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 03:18:09 PM »

That's correct on all accounts David.
I noticed the Smart Scan scheduled by default after a Clean Install. AND yes you have to watch for and "uncheck" the scheduled scan after it is run

Well that is a new sneaky one on me, sneaky how Avast applied without my knowledge. Another annoyance to watch out for.
I hate "Smart" Scan so no way would I knowingly create a scheduled scan for it.
I found it scheduled where you said, so it is now scheduled for "Never".
Thanks guys.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 04:47:25 PM »
You're welcome

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 06:31:56 PM »
<snip quotes>
Well that is a new sneaky one on me, sneaky how Avast applied without my knowledge. Another annoyance to watch out for.
I hate "Smart" Scan so no way would I knowingly create a scheduled scan for it.
I found it scheduled where you said, so it is now scheduled for "Never".
Thanks guys.

You're welcome.

Personally I haven't been hit by an unscheduled running of the Smart Scan as it has been a very long time since I did a clean install.  Either a manual update from the UI or install over the top from the off-line installation file.  So for the most part you probably won't get hit by it.

Where I saw it was having run the damn smart scan in relation to a question in the forums (to get a screen shot) and after that I saw that the schedule scan box had been checked.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 10:14:09 AM »
I didn't do a clean install or manual update etc. It came from out of the blue. That is what surprised and annoyed me.
Need to check settings regularly to avoid sneaky unwanted scan scheduling.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:15:55 AM by rocksteady »