Author Topic: Cybersitter and Avast! 4.7  (Read 3752 times)

bbgunwb

Cybersitter and Avast! 4.7
« on: September 08, 2006, 04:10:14 PM »
After cruising the boards, I see a number of posts concerning cybersitter and Avast! issues.  But I haven't seen this one.

Avast! keeps reporting the file lspcs.dll as [win32:adware-gen] virus.   After the first time I quarantined it, my TCP/IP connections no longer worked.  Cruising the net allowed me to discover that lspcs is a component of cybersitter (currently running 9.0).

Uninstalling cybersitter restored my internet connection, but reinstalling it immediately creates the lspcs.dll virus warning.

Anyone have any clues how to fix it?  Is this being investigated by anyone here?  I doubt it is at cybersitter.

Is there a way to permanently ignore the file in Avast! ?

Thanks,

BB

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cybersitter and Avast! 4.7
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 04:20:49 PM »
Try a forum search for lspcs.dll and you should see others relating to win32:adware-gen which looks like a false positive. The ones Tech has posted the link to

You could also check the offending/suspect file at: VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner
Or Jotti - Multi engine on-line virus scanner if any other scanners here detect them it is less likely to be a false positive. You can't do this with the file in the chest, you will need to move it out.

If it is indeed a false positive, add it to the exclusions lists (Standard Shield, Customize, Advanced and Program Settings, Exclusions) and check scan it periodically using the ashQuick scan (right click scan, it will need to be temporarily removed from the standard shield exclusions otherwise it won't be scanned), when it is no longer detected then you can also remove it from the program settings, exclusions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bbgunwb

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 11:46:57 PM »
Thanks!

I had seen the first link, didn't see the second link.

I'm pretty sure its a false positive, because when I re-install a fresh download from cybersitter, it immediately creates the av warning again.  I doubt cybersitter has the virus in their distro.

At any rate, thanks for the instructions on getting avast to permanently ignore that file.

BB

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:03 PM »
You should also send tha file to avast so they can analyse it and correct and update the VPS signatures. If you can zip and password protect ('virus', will do) the suspect file and send it to virus @ avast.com (no spaces), or send from the chest.

Give a brief outline of the problem (possibly a link to this thread), the fact that you believe it to be a false positive and include the password in the body of the email. Some info on the avast version and VPS number (see about avast {right click avast icon}) will also help.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

jolive

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2006, 11:18:40 PM »
This must be a false positive because I have the same exact problem.  I have been trying for two days to figure out why I could not connect to the internet.  I also got the same Avast warning about the same lpscs.dll and after I moved it to the chest I could no longer connect to the internet.  I did not relate this to the cause of my problem until I saw this post.