Author Topic: Resident Protection?  (Read 3026 times)

yamikuronue

Resident Protection?
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:26:31 AM »
I have Avast installed on all my computers, but on one computer (which I use to run an IRC dicebot, so I leave it connected a lot while I'm away) I just updated the license key today. Now, suddanly, on-access protection is disabled, and when I set it to high, it resets itself to disabled instantly. I'm---

:o
oh great. While typing this message I turned up a virus on the other machine, making me think it must not have been running before I updated the license key (I was doing some matinence on the bot today)

The machine is running windows XP pro. Any suggestions?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Resident Protection?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 05:38:25 PM »
I have Avast installed on all my computers, but on one computer (which I use to run an IRC dicebot, so I leave it connected a lot while I'm away) I just updated the license key today. Now, suddanly, on-access protection is disabled, and when I set it to high, it resets itself to disabled instantly. I'm---
1) Do you have any other antivirus installed?
2) Did you use the Trial period of avast Pro or you have ever used it?

To check the key validation:
3) Check your system date and time.
4) The Registration key is valid for 14 months. Has this period expired? Register again (for free).
5) Use copy & paste method to apply the key (take care to not copy the 'last' blank space at the end of the paragraph: copy only the key).
The best things in life are free.

yamikuronue

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 08:11:15 PM »
1) nope, no other antivirus
2) not that I recall.
3) system date and time I know were correct because the computer is a laptop so old the battery no longer functions at all, so when I plug it in it makes me set date and time upon boot.
4) It shouldn't be, since I just put in the key before this problem happened
5) Just tried that, it still resets itself to disabled.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 08:20:26 PM »
3) system date and time I know were correct because the computer is a laptop so old the battery no longer functions at all, so when I plug it in it makes me set date and time upon boot.
I'm almost certain that this is the problem...
avast, for any reason at any time, should be 'checked' the date and, maybe, it was incorrect set to the past... then it expired.
Once expired, changing the date should be detected as 'piracy' of avast copy...

Maybe uninstalling, booting, trying again and registering after boot.
Maybe Alwil team could help you to manage how 'deleting' this registry info from the Wndows Registry (avoiding the anti-piracy feature). I'm not sure...
The best things in life are free.