Author Topic: Avast hanging shutdown  (Read 2480 times)

Offline p.l.kleczek

Avast hanging shutdown
« on: May 26, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »
It takes approx. 3 minutes for Avast Antivirus service to shutdown. No matter whether I try to shut the system down almost immediately after login, or after 15 mins of working on it.

- Version of AIS: 20.3.2405 (build: 20.3.5200.574)
- Windows 7 64-bit SP1 (6.1; Build 7601: Service Pack 1)
- Other security related software installed: Zone Alarm, Windows Defender
- Which AV(s) did you use before Avast: none

Any solutions?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: Avast hanging shutdown
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 03:15:38 PM »
It takes approx. 3 minutes for Avast Antivirus service to shutdown. No matter whether I try to shut the system down almost immediately after login, or after 15 mins of working on it.

Any solutions?

Try removing Zone Alarm (Using Vender's removal tool) and see if that resolves your issue.

Offline Kristian46

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2020, 05:19:23 PM »

Any solutions?

turn off all avast before turning your pc shutdown right click on the icon of avast on taskbar then turn off avast until nxt boot, that will fix the problem for now , in my case i already uninstall the avast cause i have performance issues from this years monthly updates,ive been a long time user of avast but this years monthly updates is bad it causing slowdowns of my daily used apps, one of the issues i have is delay launching of the developer tool in chrome browser(gives me 12 seconds delay launching devtool in chrome) specially this recent major bug that cause my pc to have delay before shutdown (2mins) ,anyway  i have the same issue / OS windows 7 64bit sp1, everythings back to normal since i uninstalled Avast completely using avast clear uninstaller 2 days ago and everything on my pc works faster now,no performance issue etc. , i do not suggest to uninstall avast to fix this shutdown issue , but in my case i had enough of this frustrating issues between my pc and avast on every update i get on avast thats why uninstall it...and i was very dissapointed that i waste my 1 year subscription to a faulty updates...

anyway heres another topic with the same issue on shutdown, reply on that topic so they will be notified how many people experiencing the same issue on shutdown
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=234120.0
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:23:41 PM by Kristian46 »

Offline simmerdownthere

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 06:50:49 PM »
Yeah, it's not just you man. I've got two machines that I just went through fresh Windows installs on

Shutdowns were extremely quick, like 5 to 10 seconds, before installing Avast on it.
As soon as i did install it on both of them, about 50%-75% of shutdowns would take around a minute. Greatly noticeable.

And I also tracked it down by enabling Verbose Status for Logins, Logoffs, Shutdowns, and Startups via registry hack that can be found online
When i did that, it would always hang at shutting down the Avast service.
And for clarification, the machines I worked on are Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

Not sure what code changes were done recently, but hope they're fixed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 06:52:26 PM by simmerdownthere »

Offline p.l.kleczek

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2020, 09:11:18 PM »
Thanks for the link to that other thread - I didn't know it's sort of a "systematic error" and I've reported my problem also there.
In the next days, when I'll be able to spend an hour messing with Avast, I'll try installing version 20.1 or try that hack with manually killing the service...

[EDIT] I've found the solution here: https://support.avg.com/answers?id=906b0000000D5KkAAK

Actually, I've downgraded to version 20.1.2397 and adjusted ZoneAlarm control: I set "Inbound Trusted" and "Inbound Internet" to "Allow" for all Avast-related services.
Consequently, both my problems were resolved:
* shutdown time again decreased to a few seconds
* no "Failed to load UI" errors appeared
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 10:20:59 AM by p.l.kleczek »