Author Topic: Avast's Firewall works -- Isolates me from the Internet  (Read 2252 times)

Offline Fred Nitney

Avast's Firewall works -- Isolates me from the Internet
« on: June 11, 2020, 02:02:00 AM »
Greetings,
My poor computer (Win 7 x64) is fully protected against Internet threats since today (June 10, 2020), more or less. That is when
Avast’s firewall cut my computer off from the Internet.
I’ve tied using restore to restore my compute to a pre Avast screw-up time, but utterly without avail. Say what you will about Avast, but when they bugger your computer, it stays buggered. Or does it?
Are there lads in some third world sweatshop even now trying to fix Avast (G-d, how I hate Avast)? Is a fix in the pipeline?
By the way, I am extremely busy; thanks for the extra bother!

Bonus question:
In addition to screwing up the firewall, I understand that the latest version of Avast has wreaked havoc upon Windows' registry such that MS Office and other software stopped working for some. As I use Softmaker Office, this problem has not yet affected me. Do I have a surprise waiting?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast's Firewall works -- Isolates me from the Internet
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 02:27:53 AM »
Unfortunately the windows system restore doesn't cover everything on your computer unless you made a system image (even then I'm not sure if that goes down to program level).  The Avast Self-protection module could also block attempts to modify avast locations.

Did you not try an Avast Repair before trying a system restore (as that could impact on the potential for repair) ?

Did you check that the avast firewall was set to Private as opposed to Public ?
This could make life difficult, depending on how you connect.

For any 'lads in some third world sweatshop' to fix it first they would have to know about it and some more details, such as any error messages displayed, etc.

Your bonus answer is this problem is related to the Avast CleanUp product not the antivirus product.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Fred Nitney

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
Dear David,

Thanks for your reply. Regarding your reply:
“Unfortunately the windows system restore doesn't cover everything on your computer unless you made a system image (even then I'm not sure if that goes down to program level).”
Apparently so.

“The Avast Self-protection module could also block attempts to modify avast locations.”
As I recall, I turned off its “self defense” mode (or whatever its called) when I tried restoring my computer to a happier time.

“Did you not try an Avast Repair before trying a system restore (as that could impact on the potential for repair) ?”
I know I tried an Avast repair, but I don’t recall the exact order.

“Did you check that the avast firewall was set to Private as opposed to Public ? This could make life difficult, depending on how you connect.”
No, I didn’t. I normally connect via a WiFi hotspot, ether at home or using my smart phone. All the connections are – and presumably were for some few years – set for “Public,” but switching them to “Private” (which I did for a test just now) didn’t help.

Of course, I could have read the clear and informative Avast user’s manual for guidance – if there was a clear and informative user’s manual.

“For any 'lads in some third world sweatshop' to fix it first they would have to know about it and some more details, such as any error messages displayed, etc.”
Actually, if the lads were operating according to a well thought out plan on what the software was meant to do and how it was meant to do it, and if perhaps they solidified the plan by developing it, the software, and a user’s manual at the same time, they wouldn’t have to play digital fireman.

“Your bonus answer is this problem is related to the Avast CleanUp product not the antivirus product.”
While I sincerely feel bad for the folks affected by the ACU debacle, and while I don’t want to sound as if I’m blaming the victims – or the exploited third world lads (the key is revolution, lads, revolution!) – paying extra to have an Avast product rummage around your computer’s innards just doesn't seem wise even to me (which is setting the bar pretty low).

Bonus Bonus Question:
Apparently it was not news that there is a problem with Avast's new firewall. I think I found three similar posts before I posted. This still leaves the question as to whether Avast is even now working on the problem.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »
Whilst there is no mention of a requirement to do a restart after an Avast Repair, I have found that A) it doesn't hurt and B) any change to an active element will/should start up with the changes enabled and running.

I too am in the camp of not allowing autonomous clean up programs (avast or otherwise) run.  I do have one portable clean up that I use very occasionally, but I first check all its settings that it isn't touching areas that could cause this kind of issue before I ever run it manually.

Unfortunately as an Avast User like yourself and not using the Avast Firewall I can only fall back on the information I glean from these forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Belisaire

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »
Same problem here. Win 7 x64
After update internet ceased to function. Did a repair , a window restore but nothing helped.
I finally disconnected the firewall and internet worked again. Then I had the crazy idea to re-enable the firewall and miraculously internet was not interrupted ! Sensible data shield was still disconnected.
Hope it helps you Fred.

Offline Belisaire

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2020, 08:58:02 PM »
well I spoke too early ...

overprotective avast behaviour forbid me again to go to the internet. this is ridiculous. internet works only without firewall now.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 11:51:18 PM »

overprotective avast behaviour forbid me again to go to the internet. this is ridiculous. internet works only without firewall now.
Make sure the firewall is set to Private not public.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2020, 02:44:47 AM »
Then whats the sense of Public profile?
Hot-spots are meant to use internet at bars, cafes, public places

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2020, 11:21:50 AM »
Then whats the sense of Public profile?
Hot-spots are meant to use internet at bars, cafes, public places

For use when you are using such connections.

When you are at Home on a private network you don't want the same strict rules being applied to anything on your local/home network.

Offline Belisaire

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »

Make sure the firewall is set to Private not public.
It is set on private, always been.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 07:02:52 AM »
1. Download Avast Premium Security: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_premium_security_setup_offline.exe
2. Follow instructions: https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility (Run this tool for all prior installed Avast versions..!!)
3. Reinstall Avast with the downloaded installer from point 1.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0