Author Topic: Removing Web Browser Packaged With Avast  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Tony415

Removing Web Browser Packaged With Avast
« on: May 29, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »
How do I permanently and totally remove this avast web browser?  It keeps using it. I never asked for it or wanted it.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Removing Web Browser Packaged With Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 10:57:42 PM »
The Avast Secure Browser (ASB) doesn't come packaged with the Avast Antivirus, there may well be an option when you are installing Avast for the ASB.  So you could have missed that.

You should be able to stop avast using ASB by ensuring your Browser of choice is selected as the default browser.

To uninstall ASB, if you have Windows 10 use the windows button and find Avast Secure Browser in the list, right click on it and select Uninstall from the drop-down list.

Or you can uninstall it from the control panel in the same way as other programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Tony415

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:09:57 AM »
The Avast Secure Browser (ASB) doesn't come packaged with the Avast Antivirus, there may well be an option when you are installing Avast for the ASB.  So you could have missed that.

You should be able to stop avast using ASB by ensuring your Browser of choice is selected as the default browser.

To uninstall ASB, if you have Windows 10 use the windows button and find Avast Secure Browser in the list, right click on it and select Uninstall from the drop-down list.

Or you can uninstall it from the control panel in the same way as other programs.

Ty, I did "miss" it.  Easy to uninstall.  TY !  For quick/heplful reply to a silly quesiton

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 12:17:18 AM »
You're welcome.

The only silly question is the one you don't ask :)
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »
In this case it was easy to uninstall via Windows. Good news that worked.
If that fails, there is also an ASB "uninstaller" that can be downloaded from Avast. See here:
https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/Uninstall-Secure-Browser#idt_011