Author Topic: Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall  (Read 194024 times)

lindawing

Thank you. It only took the first step for me just now. I stopped the security service, then I waited a few seconds, then started it again. Voila! Now Security Center reads my Avast! protection.

Thanks! :-)

Linda

sysrev

Would this work with Vista Home Premium OS too?
I have just installed Avast! on a friends new DELL after removing McAfee (with some difficulty). Avast seems to work okay but Vista does not recognise it.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Would this work with Vista Home Premium OS too?
I have just installed Avast! on a friends new DELL after removing McAfee (with some difficulty). Avast seems to work okay but Vista does not recognise it.

Please look at the original instruction and follow them.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534
This will work with either version.
Welcome to the forum.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

sysrev

Thanks for the welcome Bob3160. I will try what you say.

Ted

dandan

Any other possible ideas re:  the security center not recognizing AVAST?  I 've tried " Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall
« on: September 10, 2006, 08:18:42 PM » 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... The fix could be fairly easy for the most part.

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Managament Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker, MoveOnBoot or Delete FXP you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (maybe you need to boot twice).

This will rebuild the deleted folder and the database. Once restarted, Windows Security Center should show the correct info and antivirus and firewall should now be recoginized 

Other answers for XP Security Center not detecting antivirus or firewall program could be found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883792.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 01:35:32 PM by Tech »  "

more than a couple of times.  I've also tried the cmd line solution as well.  Nothing seems to be working.

Running XP sp 2
avast is completely upto date

Ideas please.

thanks in advance

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You don't say which command line option you tried there is more than one:

Windows XP SP2, Start, Run, type cmd and click OK from the command prompt type
'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' without the quotes and enter.

Or  rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dandan

have run both to no avail

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
You could try a clean reinstall of avast.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD so you can find it later.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/programs.html and save it to your HDD.

Now uninstall, reboot, run the uninstall utility, reboot, install the latest version, reboot.

If that works fine try the same for your firewall, but in not, the problem really is with the windows security center and I have no idea what else to suggest, you have exhausted all the options that have worked for others (including those from microsoft).

If you can't get it to work you can change the options in 'Change the way Security Center alerts me' and uncheck the AV and Firewall, it isn't ideal but you won't be nagged and you will be no worse off as the WSC effectively wasn't monitoring as it didn't think you had a firewall or AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

HeDiBo

Re: Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewa
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2007, 08:06:21 PM »
I wish everybody would stick to the subject, which is: Avast not recognized in VISTA. These solutions do not work in Vista.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I wish everybody would stick to the subject, which is: Avast not recognized in VISTA. These solutions do not work in Vista.
Which was your previous antivirus in this computer?
The best things in life are free.

HeDiBo

I've never used anything other than Avast.
The following procedure works in Vista:
  • Go to Services and PAUSE Windows Management Instrumentation
  • Remove directory C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository
  • Go to Services and Continue WMI
  • Reboot
I've just found this out and it works!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewa
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2007, 08:46:54 PM »

If you check the start date of this topic Sept 2006 Vista wasn't released and this Topic was most certainly about XP and all answers up to your post related to XP. The post you quoted was a direct response to the post above it about XP SP2.

So I haven't got a clue what you are talking about.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I've never used anything other than Avast.
The following procedure works in Vista:
  • Go to Services and PAUSE Windows Management Instrumentation
  • Remove directory C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository
  • Go to Services and Continue WMI
  • Reboot
I've just found this out and it works!

And this was in the post above mine that you quoted.

HeDiBo

I stand corrected  :-[ (although the trick with pause and resume was not in the post)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
<snip>
1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Managament Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.

5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker, MoveOnBoot or Delete FXP you can delete these files.
8. Exit back to your desktop and reboot your computer (maybe you need to boot twice).
<snip>

Following those actions would also work as stopping is I feel better pause as the service is still loaded and the reboot would obviously start the services as they are set to auto start.