Author Topic: Solution when Windows Security Center does not recognize antivirus or firewall  (Read 194325 times)

HeDiBo

The problem with stopping the service is that it also stops services that depend on it. In my Intel RAID solution that are quite a number of services. They all stay happily alive with the Sleep - Resume trick.

emk2z

First hi, and thanks to everyone contributing this topic it was great help BUT,
well I faced a similar problem and the steps here didn't help me at the beginning.
After a bit of tingling I finally figured that my default path value was changed by a 3rd. party program. So I recovered the original values and am about to reboot to see if things are working again.
U can check it easily on command prompt by "path" command. To (open command prompt; in run window [CTRL+R] type CMD)
By the way u can see/edit the path values on System properties (right click my computer and select properties)\Advanced tab\Environment variables\
In the lower window find the line starting with PATH and select EDIT
The default windows path should include;     C:\Windows\System32\;C:\Windows\;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem
Though it can be different 
So i suggest putting it like this ;C:\;%systemroot%\System32\;%systemroot%\;%systemroot%\System32\Wbem

rebooted, works like a miracle!!!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 03:29:53 PM by emk2z »

Hektor

Hi Tech,

I tried your solution posted on september 10, 2006 but the windows security centre shield still keeps showing.  i have windows home xp and am running avast home free edition.  Ioh,and i have rebooted my machine twice.

Do you have any alternative solutions please? :)

thanks

Hektor

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
The best things in life are free.

Reland

I'm using XP SP3. I've tried multiple fresh installs of avast! Home Edition and Professional Edition. If I restart the Security Center service after startup, Security Center recognizes avast! but when I restart Windows it goes back to not recognizing it. I tried stopping the WMI service, renaming the Repository folder to Repository_OLD and restarting the WMI service. After two days and multiple restarts the folder has not been rebuilt and the only difference was that if I restarted the Security Center service, now Security Center still would NOT recognize avast!.

When I run 'rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository' OR 'rundll32 wbemupgd, RepairWMISetup' I get the error message: "Error loading wbemupgd. The specified module could not be found."

Can anyone back up what "emk2z" posted about changing the default path? Mine doesn't contain C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wbem but it does contain C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wbemburner which does not appear as a folder in Windows Explorer.

Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Mine doesn't contain C:\WINDOWS\system32\Wbem
Maybe your Windows installation is corrupted? ???

pjs

I have carried out the below steps with the exception of disabling the security center, rather than stopping and then automatically starting after reboot. Everything was fine after reboot till I went back in and restarted the security center and the same problem resumed.

I have a laptop on a network and the other work stations also running windows XP do not have the same problem.

1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Go down to Windows Management Instrumentation.
4. Stop this service. Stop Security Center service too.
    Let them to Automatically start.
5. Exit out of this area to your desktop.
6. Right click Start and choose Explore.
7. Go to c:\windows\system32\wbem\repository.
    Delete this subdirectory ONLY. Let the others there.
    Sometimes, only using Unlocker

Can anyone help here as I have found sending an email to technical support is not responded to in the last few days.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Does Windows Security Center does not recognize avast or says it's out of date?
Is your system time and date correct?

IgorStravinsky

Hi, I have a similarissue with a warning saying VPS 090402-0 poss out of date. I did what you said re deleting wbem/repository but when I tried delting that file, it said 'Cannot delete INDEX.BTR - other user/in use etc'......
What's my next move please?

Regards,

Igor Stravinsky

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Sometimes, only using Unlocker (http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/) or KillBox (http://killbox.net/) or MoveOnBoot (http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html) or Delete FXP (http://www.jrtwine.com/) you can delete files.

WORRIED

Many thanks for posting such clear instuctions.   I have not been a computer user for long, and some of the technical words escape me.
I did a boot time scan and thought in found 0 infected files, the antivirus switched itself on.

rick98382

Emk2z's fix worked for me! I had tried everything, and changing the path to ;C:\;%systemroot%\System32\;%systemroot%\;%systemroot%\System32\Wbem did the trick! Thanks. Another program installation had changed my path variable.

lzrs21lz

Emk2z's fix worked for me TOO!

Emk2z  Thank you so much. You must be a Genius!

nikomiudon

It is not good to delete Repository.
It is desirable for Repository to rebuild it after having deleted unnecessary .mof.

tufa4311

Actions I've taken:
1. Go to control panel and open Administrative tools.
2. Click on services.
3. Stop these services:
    Windows Security Center
    Windows Managament Instrumentation
    SBSD Security Center Service (if you use Spybot Search & Destroy).
4. Let all them to Automatically start.
5. Remove the directory C:\Windows\System32\wbem\Repository
6. Go to Services and Continue all the Services above or go to next step.
7. Reboot
Also created the .bat file and ran it (see first post by Tech).
Rebooted, nothing, Windows Shield still there.

Next, edited PATH in Environment variables to:
;C:\;%systemroot%\System32\;%systemroot%\;%systemroot%\System32\Wbem

Rebooted, nothing, shild still there. (and just for the heck of it I ran the .bat file before rebooting, nothing)

Any Ideas? I'm on Vista and Windows Security does not recognize my Trend Micro firewall and places the Shield in my tray.