Author Topic: Cleanup broke virtually every application on my computer  (Read 1550 times)

Offline George427

Cleanup broke virtually every application on my computer
« on: June 10, 2020, 02:01:40 PM »
After running cleanup this morning, it broke basically every application I have installed on my computer. Everything says it can not find the .exe I am trying to run, even if I'm directly running the application. Some of the broken applications include:
Steam
Space Gass
VLC Player
Adobe Acrobat
Clip Studio
VALORANT
etc
I've tried reverting the changes through the rescue center but it made no difference. After searching the web, the only fix I found was for Steam and that's it.

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster

Offline Thomas948

Re: Cleanup broke virtually every application on my computer
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 02:57:03 PM »
This has happened to me as well:
     -Office,
     -Word,
     -Steam,
     -Rhino
     -...etc

Deleting the Debugger values in 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options' and restarting does NOT fix the problem. Only reinstalling/repairing the affected program seems to be the solution I've found so far.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 04:37:12 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 11:46:11 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.