Author Topic: Avast Clean up uninstall.  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Ken Lines

Avast Clean up uninstall.
« on: May 31, 2020, 11:07:41 AM »
Once again my Avast Clean up has failed to initiate.  Double clicking on the icon resulted in a brief SWC (Spinning Wait Circle) then nothing.  This occurred after attempting to renew my subscription and is the third time this has happened.  I decided to try a fresh installation and uninstalled Avast Cleanup.  My screen showed the message that 'Some elements could not be removed and will need to be removed manually'.  All fine and dandy except that - although I am the System Administrator - all access to the remaining files (all in folder  C:\Program files\Avast Software/Avast Cleanup) was blocked saying Administrator Authorisation was needed.  Eventually I downloaded a new installer.  Initiating the installer it appeared to stall at every one of the remaining files - all in C:\Program files\Avast Software/Avast Cleanup.  Avast kept advising that Administrator authorisation was needed to touch any of the files.  Annoying as I am  both the system User and Administrator.  In the end I overcame the problem by clicking on 'Ignore' every time the warning came up.  This was shown as 'Not recommended'.  Finally installation was completed and the Activation Code was accepted.  All this wasted some two and a half hours of my time - not very satisfactory.  I also note that Avast Cleanup is shown in the menu on my Avast Anti Virus - however any attempt to run it from there results in a request for a monthly subscription?  Why does the uninstaller not remove all the files, other programs have no problem.  Why does it not recognise my Admin status.  Is there a simple work around, or have I already discovered it as above.
Die Dulci Fruimini!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Avast Clean up uninstall.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2020, 12:54:48 PM »
Once again my Avast Clean up has failed to initiate.  Double clicking on the icon resulted in a brief SWC (Spinning Wait Circle) then nothing.  This occurred after attempting to renew my subscription and is the third time this has happened.  I decided to try a fresh installation and uninstalled Avast Cleanup.  My screen showed the message that 'Some elements could not be removed and will need to be removed manually'.  All fine and dandy except that - although I am the System Administrator - all access to the remaining files (all in folder  C:\Program files\Avast Software/Avast Cleanup) was blocked saying Administrator Authorisation was needed.  Eventually I downloaded a new installer.  Initiating the installer it appeared to stall at every one of the remaining files - all in C:\Program files\Avast Software/Avast Cleanup.  Avast kept advising that Administrator authorisation was needed to touch any of the files.  Annoying as I am  both the system User and Administrator.  In the end I overcame the problem by clicking on 'Ignore' every time the warning came up.  This was shown as 'Not recommended'.  Finally installation was completed and the Activation Code was accepted.  All this wasted some two and a half hours of my time - not very satisfactory.  I also note that Avast Cleanup is shown in the menu on my Avast Anti Virus - however any attempt to run it from there results in a request for a monthly subscription?  Why does the uninstaller not remove all the files, other programs have no problem.  Why does it not recognise my Admin status.  Is there a simple work around, or have I already discovered it as above.

Hi,

this is certainly a not intended behavior of our product, you should be able to install/uninstall it without any complications.
However based on your story it seems that there might be some files which are being held by other process or there might be some kind of a deadlock from which the product is not able to recover.
Also the unavailability of opening the installed Cleanup from AV shows that there is something wrong with the current Cleanup installation.

Have you tried to perform a reboot between the uninstallation and the next installation to clean up the files which might not be deleted during the process?

There is also another possible scenario you could try - run the installation and after that uninstall the product to see whether it was fixed by the second installation over the original one.

Please let me know if that works for you.
Thank you.

Offline Ken Lines

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 01:16:44 PM »
I tried all the options - restart, shutdown and reboot.  Delete new installation.

Nothing worked.  However the process of using the 'Ignore' option, as stated
in my original post, has given me a working copy of Avast Cleanup.  I even
tried deleting the offending files by running the 'cmd.exe' option as 'System
Administrator'  but the folder 'Avast Cleanup' was not recognised by the
'del' command.  It appeared that I needed divine intervention from God to
access anything in that folder.

For the moment I will continue to use my working copy but will come back
if the problem recurrs.

Thanks for your attention.

ken Lines.
Die Dulci Fruimini!

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 11:26:21 AM »
I tried all the options - restart, shutdown and reboot.  Delete new installation.

Nothing worked.  However the process of using the 'Ignore' option, as stated
in my original post, has given me a working copy of Avast Cleanup.  I even
tried deleting the offending files by running the 'cmd.exe' option as 'System
Administrator'  but the folder 'Avast Cleanup' was not recognised by the
'del' command.  It appeared that I needed divine intervention from God to
access anything in that folder.

For the moment I will continue to use my working copy but will come back
if the problem recurrs.

Thanks for your attention.

ken Lines.

OK, thanks for the reply.

Well in that case it is probably something more complicated.
We are going to release the new version which also include a new setup/update technology very soon, so I would suggest you to wait for it and then give it another try to reinstall the product using the new setup to see whether it resolves the issue.

Thank you.

Offline Ken Lines

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 11:38:03 AM »
Thank you Stellarman, I shall wait for the updated version as you suggest.

Regards.

Ken Lines.
Die Dulci Fruimini!

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 01:47:06 PM »
Seem than Avast Clean-up is really broken
I uninstalled it, but  before uninstall I woke up Office
But after uninstall, none of my MS Office programs start
I should manually delete the IFEO key in order to access my office programs

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:46:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.