Author Topic: Avast Browser on Windows 10 did not import usernames and passwords  (Read 2034 times)

Offline carrollbjr

I just recently installed the Avast browser on my desktop which is still running Windows 7.  And everything seems to be working fine on that PC.  If I go to one of the forums I regularly go to I get my username and password just by clicking on login which is of course what I want and had in my old browser.

However yesterday I decided to put the Avast browser on my laptop which is running windows 10.  After importing my bookmarks and settings I discovered that none of my usernames or passwords were imported.  Does anyone have a suggestion for how to fix this?  I belong to several forums and really don't want to have to re-enter all my usernames and passwords to log in to them.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Carroll

Offline carrollbjr

Re: Avast Browser on Windows 10 did not import usernames and passwords
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
To add a little more information to my first post.  I was using Brave as my browser.  When I wanted to import my bookmarks and settings to Avast, Avast didn't show my bookmarks and settings from Brave.  I found that I could save my settings and bookmarks to a HTML file.  After doing that then Avast found that file and asked if I wanted to import that file as my bookmarks.  After I said yes it correctly imported both my bookmarks and settings on my desktop PC which is still running Windows 7.  However when I used that same procedure to import my bookmarks and settings on my laptop which is running Windows 10 only the bookmarks were imported and not my settings which included my usernames and passwords for the sites I normally go to.

Again my thanks to anyone that can help.  So far I like Avast but I really don't want to have to re-enter all my user names and passwords for the sites I usually go to.

Carroll

Offline Razvan92

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:03:57 PM »
Hi!

The passwords export file is a .csv format, which you can't import using the import button from bookmarks, as that option only supports .html file. If you have the file with your passwords exported from Brave, you need to follow these steps in order to import it to Avast Secure Browser:

1. Navigate to secure://flags.
2. Type "Password" in the search input box.
3. Enable the "Password Import" flag and click on relaunch.
4. Go to Settings -> Passwords -> Clicked on the 3 dots above the "Saved passwords" section -> Import. Choose the export file from Brave and all your passwords should be now imported

Offline carrollbjr

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 06:38:57 PM »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I have exported my passwords from Brave to a .csv file.  However I do not know what you mean when you say to navigate to secure://flags.  I don't see that anywhere in the settings menu.  I also looked in the program files associated with the Avast browser and didn't find it there either.  As I said I am using Windows 10 if that makes a difference.  Could you please explain how to get to that.

Thanks for your help.
Carroll

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »
@     carrollbjr
Copy and past the 'secure://flags' (without the quotes) into the Chrome Address bar and enter as if it were a web address it should then open up the Secure Flags section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline carrollbjr

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 09:27:54 PM »
A big thanks to both of you.  That worked!  I will now make Avast my default browser on both my laptop and desktop.

Carroll

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 11:19:57 PM »
You're welcome.

Happy that you now have it resolved.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security