Author Topic: Windows Updates  (Read 2448 times)

Cokeman

Windows Updates
« on: September 11, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »
I have the 4.7 Home and I am having trouble with Windows updates. I have XP SP2. I installed 4.7 and have not received any updates since that day. I went to the Windows site and tried to update, but I just got an error message saying:

Files required to use Microsoft Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

0 Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
0 Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem

When I click the top option, it's tries to download and register, but does not fix the problem. I also can't get Windows Defender to update and my defragmenter won't analyze or defragment.

Any ideas?

stevejrc

Re: Windows Updates
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 07:26:48 PM »
I did a goggle for it, this should help:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15112281

seems quite common, and easily fixable, the post quotes:

"For example, I believe the installation or un-installation of Norton Antivirus or other antivirus software can cause the problem.

But this problem can sometimes occur after a new installation of Windows or after an installation of a Service Pack or other Windows Update. Files involved with Windows Update do not get registered or installed properly."

Cokeman

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 09:49:50 AM »
I tried registering all of those files and it didn't help. I couldn't figure out how to do the first suggestion:

"you could delete the activex updater found in

Internet Explorer>general>settings>view objects, and delete anything microsoft or windows related,"

I couldn'teven follow the path that he suggested. I have IE 7. Is that why? What should I be looking for? Is he saying that you open the properties window for IE7? When I did that, I found things like Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool and Windows Live Safety Center Base Module among other things. Am I close?

I also noticed that there are 3 files in the chest under systems. They are kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll. Should those be there?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 01:35:04 PM »
I also noticed that there are 3 files in the chest under systems. They are kernel32.dll, winsock.dll, and wsock32.dll. Should those be there?
Yes. They're clean. They're there for backup purposes  ;)
The best things in life are free.