Author Topic: Computer crashes on boot with both Avast and Valorant (the game) installed?  (Read 4440 times)

Offline Boredombreaker1212

Hi all,

I approached Riot support with a problem about their new game Valorant. Previously I was able to play Valorant perfectly fine with Avast installed, but after the most recent Avast update I can no longer do so. The problem is this:

When I have Valorant's anti-cheat Vanguard installed and I have Avast installed my computer crashes during the bootup. When the spinning wheel for Windows 10 appears in the middle of the screen it spins for a bit then freezes permanently. I have to manually hold the power button to reset the computer. At this point it will boot normally, but Vanguard will have skipped its launch and thus Valorant is unplayable.

I didn't have the problem before the new Avast update, so I figure that must have caused it. I'm here asking because Riot support basically told me to uninstall Avast permanently to fix the problem and that's garbage and not a solution. Thus here I am.

I've tried delaying Avast's start and that didn't work. I've clean uninstalled and reinstalled both Avast and Valorant several times to no avail. I've done just about everything any forum post has mentioned to try to fix this, but none of them have worked. I'm desperate. At the end of the day I'm going to choose Avast over Valorant because I value my security over a video game, but I'd like to not have to make that choice.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
Hi,

the fix for this issue was released today.  If your program version is 20.4.2410 (build 20.4.5312.576), you are fine. Reboot might be needed to reload fixed aswvmm.sys driver.

I've currently got 20.4.2410 (build 20.4.5312.561), would a clean install work to get the newest build or should I just wait through today and see if it reaches my system?

Thanks!

Offline Spec8472

• Avast team
The update is not delivered yet in your case. Please try to trigger the updater manually using:
schtasks.exe /Run /TN "Avast Emergency Update"
It must be executed in elevated console.
To answer your question: Yes clean install (for online computer) will deliver the 576 update.

Hey, just wanted to say thanks. I've got the update and the problem seems to be fixed. This is the kind of customer support I'm looking for in a program, not what Riot gave me. So thank you very much, I appreciate it quite a lot.