Author Topic: Why are so many Avast Browser processes running?  (Read 17903 times)

Offline LesF

Why are so many Avast Browser processes running?
« on: June 07, 2020, 02:46:56 AM »
There are currently 8 processes running for the Avast Browser, 3 each of Avast Browser (32 bit), 3 of Avast Browser Setup (32 bit) and two processes called Avast Browser Update.

Can I stop this all from loading at startup?  I can't find any settings to stop the browser running at startup, why isn't this made more obvious and easy to change?

Can the Avast Browser and all related processes be configured to only run on demand?  If not I will uninstall this thing which I don't recall ever actually asking to have installed.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why are so many Avast Browser processes running?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 11:42:04 AM »
Many browsers run multiple instances to speed performance, I have 6 instances of firefox.exe running.

The Avast Secure Browser (ASB) is a stand alone installation and not integrated in the Avast Antivirus, but it does offer it as an option (a check box, pre-checked), you probably missed that.  If you missed that it will have been installed, the ASB is a chromium based browser and like Chrome it is checking for updates.

Like any other browser you can have it act as your default browser, open your browser of choice and in its setting set it as the default.

If you aren't using it, then it can be uninstalled like any other program using the Control Panel uninstall function.  Or from the Windows program list, right click on ASB and select Uninstall.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fsintegral

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2020, 12:12:58 PM »
I keep disabling ASB from launching at startup (not my default browser) but I still have it started as processes. Today I've found this :

WTF Avast ? I'm not even using the browser, I use Chrome (google) because I want. That's some insane troll move you've done there. I don't understand, what's the point of trying to convince people to use your browser that much ??? I just don't want to use it, just keep it away, don't launch it by default, don't spam processes like that, not everyone is able to afford a decent computer to run that much processes in the background without harming the CPU load. It drives me crazy, really Avast, at the point I tried to kill AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe in the task manager (doesn't work obviously) but it's a nonsense, reason why I had a nonsense answer to it.

Please, rethink of how you guys behind Avast in the team presents and introduce your products. I don't want to be mean, but every cell in my body tells me to be really mad.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2020, 03:13:32 PM »
Take action as I suggested in my reply above your post, if you aren't using or don't want it, uninstall it.

AvastUI.exe and AvastSvc.exe have nothing to do with the ASB, even if you did manage to stop them as ASB is a stand alone program

For some considerable time I didn't use the Avast Secure Browser (ASB), but I have installed it, basically to try and help others using it in the forums.  I have never had it start on its own and nothing like the entries in your image.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline fsintegral

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 06:38:26 PM »
Thanks DavidR.

I did as you suggested, uninstalled it. The processes were still listed after the uninstallation, I had to restart the computer to get them removed.

The thing is, what I did (tried to kill Avast) was at the time I wasn't yet here to read you, noticed the processes and took a quick screenshot. I was in anger, for the reasons below :
- ASB did launched itself on each startup a few months ago, that didn't bothered me that much except the fact it did slowed down startup a little. I then unchecked both launch at startup and searched for the option to prevent check as default browser to no avail. Though, I did get Chrome back as default browser.
- ASB stopped to launch itself at startup, for a moment... until Avast got an update (I don't know what kind of update, but the one that reopens the entire Avast panel on startup), and here again, ASB was launching itself. That's why I asked "what's the point of trying to present the browser that often.." I was already aware ASB existed, I didn't need another notification.
- And I did uninstalled ASB because of the above. Everything appeared to work as it was supposed to, until I noticed those processes yesterday. Maybe another Avast update, and once again the ASB yolo mode.

Please, don't take it personnaly DavidR, I'm not angry at you, you're doing your best here and I thank you for that. If I understand, you may have little to no access to Avast team to relate my experience, it's okay. I'm just sharing my user experience, if that may help Avast to have better introduction for their products. I always had good impressions so far, but when it comes to ASB, I just feel it is so intrusive I may never be tempted to use it, I don't think that was the expected user behavior. Experience tells me if I like a brand or company, I should report back any feeling, good or bad, unaltered, to help them improve (and I didn't want to create another topic which wouldn't make your life easier)

On a side note, I use Chrome because I build apps on demand on that platform (may work with ASB as it's Chromium based as stated, but, no custommer asked me to support ASB so far).

Long story short, there is no ASB related process so far. Hope that will remain as is, I can always get ASB on my own the moment I need it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 06:41:01 PM by fsintegral »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 07:38:57 PM »
You're welcome.

Having uninstalled it, a reboot would really be necessary to restart Avast as the ASB would be linked to that and the reboot then removes that link.

The most recent Avast Update was a program update and that could well cause a popup on what's new and possibly offer ASB again.  Generally I don't see this as I have program updates set to Manual, when I know there is one (being on the forums) when |I come to do a manual program update after the reboot I'm always on the lookout for any avast screens to ensure there are no pre-checked options ;)

As far why it presents ASB so frequently, generally because these ads/promotions are dumb and don't go searching your system (some would consider that intrusive) to see if you have it and they wouldn't know that you previously uninstalled it.

Offline fsintegral

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 12:17:05 PM »
Thanks again, for the small tips btw (check options upon Avast Panel loading and eventually going manual updates - though, I already don't have that much time for what I have to do, will have to wait some time before doing so) :)

Thumbs up, I now know the way to go.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.