Author Topic: Can't start program after Cleanup run.  (Read 6779 times)

Offline bjorn.forsberg

Can't start program after Cleanup run.
« on: June 09, 2020, 06:24:03 PM »
Hi!
After I run Cleanup today my GOG and Steam icon don't work "Can't find the EXE file".
I looked for the exe files on my C and D drive and tried to open them from there and I get a message
saying that the GOG.EXE and Steam.EXE can't be found.
I see them on the Disks, so they are there.
I tried to uninstall and then install GOG and it works fine untill "can't find GOG.EXE".
I can't open it even after re-install, what the .... has happened ?

Björn

Offline Diego SV

Re: Can't start program after Cleanup run.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:04:00 PM »
HEY. For anyone who wants a quick solution for this, since i just talked to avast support and they didn't provide any: Follow the indications of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrGshSN_u8

It helped me to rewrite some of the debbuger registry that was messed up by Avast. That way i was able to get my programs working again and get some of my work time back.

Hope it helps until they provide a fix.

Offline appy ammer

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 01:18:17 AM »
Well done, this works. Instead of opening up the setup.exe in the registry, I opened steam.exe. In there i saw a DEBUGGER value with the word Avast in it. Removing this got my Steam application to work again.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.

Thank you.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 08:50:31 AM »
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.
Once you delete all the debugger registries you have to also go to the Cleanup UI, navigate to the Background & startup programs and manually wake all the affected programs to make sure that their services, background processes and scheduled tasks are properly started again.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:40:55 PM by Stellarman »

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 04:37:42 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:45:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.

Offline _martin_

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 10:42:25 AM »
This problem is not fixed.

Still happened with the newest version.

Never install an avast product on a machine again, it does not improve, it destroys the system.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 10:44:12 AM by _martin_ »

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 11:36:21 AM »
This problem is not fixed.

Still happened with the newest version.

Never install an avast product on a machine again, it does not improve, it destroys the system.

Hi,

this is very unfortunate and we apologize for the inconveniences.

We are now working on another update which will include a separate .exe utility which shall wake up all the programs and basically revert everything into the default state.
This update shall be released in the upcoming days.

Alternatively we could even do a remote connection and fix directly on your machine, if you would be interested please send me a PM and we can arrange the details.

Thank you.

Offline sangram.rathore26

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 06:13:55 AM »
I have taken Avast Cleanup Premium Subscription on 26th Jul'20, however when I am clicking on open cleanup it is giving me error message: Windows cannot find 'avguix.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again.

Please help me to fix this error to start using Avast cleanup service.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 01:55:17 PM »
I have taken Avast Cleanup Premium Subscription on 26th Jul'20, however when I am clicking on open cleanup it is giving me error message: Windows cannot find 'avguix.exe'. Make sure you type the name correctly, and then try again.

Please help me to fix this error to start using Avast cleanup service.

Hi,

have you tried to reinstall the product, it seems like your installation might be somehow damaged.
If you already tried this, then I would need log files from your machine to be able to analyze what happens there.

You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically send to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you.