Author Topic: Office 2016 wont work after cleanup  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Hallafrustrated

Office 2016 wont work after cleanup
« on: June 09, 2020, 10:39:29 PM »
Cant start any office program, office 2016 with windows 10.

I made sure everything is awake, and not ignored.
I reinstalled office

Offline Diego SV

Re: Office 2016 wont work after cleanup
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
HEY. For anyone who wants a quick solution for this, since i just talked to avast support and they didn't provide any: Follow the indications of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrGshSN_u8

It helped me to rewrite some of the debbuger registry that was messed up by Avast. That way i was able to get my programs working again and get some of my work time back.

Hope it helps until they provide a fix.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 08:52:12 AM »
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.

Thank you.

Offline Stephen1066

• The History Room
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 12:39:04 PM »
Hello.

The post you referred to was written 2 months ago!

You have had 2 months to correct it and still no change.

Just typical of Avast.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »
Hello.

The post you referred to was written 2 months ago!

You have had 2 months to correct it and still no change.

Just typical of Avast.

Hi,

this is unfortunate because there was a bug in the update we've released just yesterday which caused this, we are already working on a fix for that issue which will go out later today.
I am really sorry and I sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences we've made to you.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 01:40:41 PM »
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.
Once you delete all the debugger registries you have to also go to the Cleanup UI, navigate to the Background & startup programs and manually wake all the affected programs to make sure that their services, background processes and scheduled tasks are properly started again.

Thank you.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 04:37:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:45:54 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.