Author Topic: Windows cannot find steam exe after Avast Cleanup Premium has updated  (Read 3036 times)

Offline appy ammer

I have just read a similar post and I'm mesmerised if this is a permanent problem.

I cannot load the steam exe on my pc. When I switched the PC on this evening I got a message saying Avast has updated.
Then I went to load up Football Manager 2020 but I get the following error message:
steam://rungameid/1100600
Windows cannot find steam 'steam://rungameid/1100600'. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again.

The exe is there. I can see it. I've tried to run as adminstrator, I've downloaded Malwarebytes, I've checked that Steam is enabled from Wake Up mode. I don't know what to do.
I have undone the broken registry files that were done 2 days ago. With that in mind though the game worked fine yesterday.

Has my Avast Cleanup Premium done something irrepairable to my Steam files. Please can anyone help me.

Offline appy ammer

Thanks to Diego SV who posted in bjorn.forsberg's post, I have now managed to fix my problem. Follow this youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWrGshSN_u8

Instead of opening up the setup.exe in the registry, I opened steam.exe. In there i saw a DEBUGGER value with the word Avast in it. Removing this got my Steam application to work again.

Avast, you have caused me a massive headache this evening  >:( >:( >:(

Offline matt1314

Just received the update as well. Both Steam and Origin wouldn't launch after it. After banging my head against the wall feeling frustrated and searching for a solution, I finally managed to solve the issue.

Press [Windows] and [R], type "regedit" and go this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Option

Find "steam.exe" and delete the string underneath it which has some letters and numbers. Then try launching Steam again. It should work after this fix.

I personally uninstalled Cleanup Premium after this and deleted all the other extra letter and number strings for all the other EXE files. This is simply unacceptable.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:11:46 AM by matt1314 »

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Hi,

We really apologize for your inconveniences.
This is definitely not the intended behavior and it seems that the update to the latest version somehow broke this functionality.
We are already working on fix which will be delivered ASAP, in the meantime there is a way how to fix it on your own using a Windows Registry Editor.

If you check my post here: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233129.msg1541192#msg1541192 you should have a better idea how to fix it.
Once you delete all the debugger registries you have to also go to the Cleanup UI, navigate to the Background & startup programs and manually wake all the affected programs to make sure that their services, background processes and scheduled tasks are properly started again.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:41:37 PM by Stellarman »

Offline appy ammer

This has really caused me massive problems. I have now had to reinstall Steam as all the files redownloaded to my desktop. Then having pressed the uninstall button (with a view to reinstalling steam) ALL my games were deleted with it. Bugger. Once I'd clicked the button I couldn't stop it. SO having watched all my games disappear I am now re-downloading them again. Most frustrating (part1...)

Part 2.....
I just tried to open an excel file and I am now getting THE SAME problem as above. Avast Cleanup Premium update has really messed my pc registry up. I am so annoyed about this ESPECIALLY as this is a paid service.

Will Avast get my pc fixed with a future release of Cleanup?

Offline Stephen1066

• The History Room
I doubt it.

Reading the posts in this section of the forum, shows that this issue has been ongoing since April - 2 months ago.

There are also posts, with similar issues, going back over 2 years.

Best solution is remove Avast products and go elsewhere.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Hello everyone,

Again we really apologize for this situation, it was caused by a bug in the update we've released yesterday.

We already have a fix which we are verifying right now and we will release it as an update later today.
The update will fix everything so you should be again able to use the programs you previously put to sleep without any limitations.

Please bear with us, we are trying to get it fixed as soon as possible and won't stop until this whole situation will be resolved.

Thank you for understanding.

Offline appy ammer

I hope you are right Stellarman, and things do get fixed today. I cannot access any of the microsoft office suite. Who knows what else has been effected. If this is not resolved I should be entitled to a refund, I'm not even a month into this Cleanup Premium and I've paid for the year.

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.