Author Topic: Misleading  (Read 1415 times)

Offline mrtoddshannon

Misleading
« on: June 28, 2020, 03:53:59 PM »
An avast scan of my system showed 149gb of Windows download files cluttering my system, so when prompted, I chose to install avast Cleanup Premium.  The results of its first cleanup only showed 4gb of system junk cleaned (5.6gb total).  That is much too big of a difference.  It makes me think you used a scare tactic in an attempt to get my money.  I will be canceling before the free trial period expires.  I have been an avast subscriber for several years, and this tactic really disappoints me.  How you deal with this message will determine if I continue to be a customer.   I would have sent this message in an email directly, but you do not offer an address on your site, so it went on the forum for others to see.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Misleading
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
Personally I have no need or desire to have a program like this (Avast or Other product), so I don't use the Avast Cleanup Premium product.  I don't know if you have a windows.old folder on your system as that can be very large, but the figure of 149GB seems bloody large.

But System Junk could well be different to Windows download files.  Did you look at the details of these figures as to exactly what it was ?
And it could well depend on the default settings when running Avast Cleanup Premium.

If it doesn't give any details, I certainly wouldn't allow it to remove anything. 
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
Re: Misleading
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 05:29:15 PM »
An avast scan of my system showed 149gb of Windows download files cluttering my system, so when prompted, I chose to install avast Cleanup Premium.  The results of its first cleanup only showed 4gb of system junk cleaned (5.6gb total).  That is much too big of a difference.  It makes me think you used a scare tactic in an attempt to get my money.  I will be canceling before the free trial period expires.  I have been an avast subscriber for several years, and this tactic really disappoints me.  How you deal with this message will determine if I continue to be a customer.   I would have sent this message in an email directly, but you do not offer an address on your site, so it went on the forum for others to see.

Hi,

first of all let me clearly express that misleading users is definitely not our intention, this is most likely caused by a two different approaches when interpreting the data.
Let me explain it a little bit closer.

I assume that the first message informing about 149GB to clean was shown from Avast Antivirus. In fact we are using the same engine to search for the "cleanup potential" in AV as well as in Cleanup. However the problem here might be the interpretation of the data, because in Cleanup we show "the basic" and "the advanced" potential to clean which is represented by Maintanance and System junk feature respectively while in AV is it very likely that they show just the full potential which combines these two.

I will definitely double check that to see whether we could synchronize that, to make it more easy to read and avoid misleading messages in the future.

Thank you.