Author Topic: Windows cannot find "X". Make sure you typed the name correctly...  (Read 4835 times)

Offline anthonyW5

Hi,

I have a problem like many others that seems to be due to Avast: I can't open the .exe files to launch my programs (Word, Excel and all the programs that were sleeping by default with Avast Cleanup). Yesterday, without any reason, I couldn't start any of them.

When I start Word for example it says: "Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 15\root\office15\WINWORD.EXE'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

As suggested in another post, I have reinstalled Cleanup to wake up the programs, but they were already active! And yet, I still can't open my programs.

Could you please let me know what to do? This is driving me mad seriously, I'm wasting so much time looking for a solution.

Also, if I need to use the following command, to whom shall I send the file??
C:\Program Files (x86)\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe

Thanks,

Anthony
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 10:21:53 PM by anthony.diaz.fr »

Offline CarolineR

Re: Windows cannot find "X". Make sure you typed the name correctly...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 10:08:42 PM »
Hi Avast,

Same problem on my end. An entire workday down the drain, trying to find a - as yet - non-existent solution. I am not a happy camper.

I'm sure your team is working on it, but wanted to add my voice to those of other Cleanup users.

Please keep us posted. (Soon.)

Thanks,

Caroline

Online Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 11:45:45 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am sorry that it took so long but the fixed version is finally here!

If you don't want to wait for the automatic update, please download the installation package here: https://honzik.avcdn.net/setup/avast-tu/release/avast_cleanup_online_setup.exe and reinstall the product manually to get the latest available version including the fix.

We've tested all the affected scenarios and everything shall get back to the original state after the update/reinstall to the latest version.

We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences.
Please let us know how it works for you.

Best regards,
Avast team.

Offline CarolineR

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 12:21:44 AM »
Hello Stellarman,

Thanks for the update and link to fast-track the process. I've just downloaded the installation package and now seem to have access to my files/programs.

However, once installed, I'm seeing a "Problèmes détectés" / "Erreur 111111" message. Will update this post if any other problems occur.

Feel free to reach out if you need more info that could help the Avast community.

Caroline

Online Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 12:27:44 AM »
Hello Stellarman,

Thanks for the update and link to fast-track the process. I've just downloaded the installation package and now seem to have access to my files/programs.

However, once installed, I'm seeing a "Problèmes détectés" / "Erreur 111111" message. Will update this post if any other problems occur.

Feel free to reach out if you need more info that could help the Avast community.

Caroline

Thank you Caroline for quick reply and the test on your machine, I am glad that it works now!

With regards to the error 111111 you saw during the installation, could you please send us logs so we can take a look at it tomorrow?
You can simply send them by executing our log collector utility from this path C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast Cleanup\tulogcollector.exe and once the logs are collected they will be automatically send to our server.
Once it is done, please let me know which email address you have used there so we can join the logs with your report here.

Thank you very much for your help!

Offline anthonyW5

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 12:56:16 AM »
Hi Stellarman,

Thanks for your quick reply, it works for me indeed, what a relief!

This actually made me lost quite a lot of time and money...  I bought an updated version of a video software as I thought something was wrong with my older version. People were speaking about viruses and malware on forums, and it took me some time to realise that I couldn't open other programs either, such as Office, and that everything was caused by Avast.

As a customer, I find it quite irresponsible from Avast not to have been advised about the existence of such a bug you were obviously aware of. I literally wasted three days and 150 pounds with all this, that was a real nightmare.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Anthony

Offline CarolineR

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 01:30:07 AM »
Hello again Stellarman,

I've just sent Avast my logs, and will send you my email address via private message in a few minutes so we can figure out this "111111" Error.

Also, to follow up on anthonyW5's last post, I too find it quite astounding that Avast hadn't doublechecked everything before implementing this new update. Though I do appreciate your help, this situation has left me short 1 working day. A lot of self-employed people like myself pay for your products to make sure they can work without any major computer problems.

Hope Avast higher-ups will consider some type of compensation, specifically for those, like anthonyW5, who spent money before finding out the problem was Avast's, not his.

Thanks again to you and your team - much appreciated!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 01:35:46 AM »
@ CarolineR
There is a CleanUp program update which includes a fix included for this I believe, see https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=234798.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline kbm2285

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 03:18:18 AM »
Yes I spent the whole day trying to recover programs deleted by Avast "Cleanup".  I absolutely hate this product and have requested a refund.  The cleanup did NOT ask if I wanted the files deleted.  And when I tried to uninstall and reinstall the programs, I continued to get error messages.  I am thoroughly frustrated, and still have not been able to use all of my programs.  Will not be using AVAST in the future.

Online Stellarman

• Advanced Poster
  • Product Manager
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 06:43:58 PM »
Yes I spent the whole day trying to recover programs deleted by Avast "Cleanup".  I absolutely hate this product and have requested a refund.  The cleanup did NOT ask if I wanted the files deleted.  And when I tried to uninstall and reinstall the programs, I continued to get error messages.  I am thoroughly frustrated, and still have not been able to use all of my programs.  Will not be using AVAST in the future.

Hi,

we really really apologize for this terrible mistake, unfortunately we cannot undone the damage we made and we are truly sorry for that.

If you would like to get a refund, please fill in this form https://support.avast.com/en-us/contact/sales_refund and someone from customer support will contact you.

Thank you.

Offline bonniephoto

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 10:05:53 PM »
@Stellarman
Thank you for the fix to the problem!  It seems to have done the trick.