Author Topic: VPN message something is not right more vpn questions  (Read 2862 times)

Offline sandy55

VPN message something is not right more vpn questions
« on: June 15, 2020, 03:33:47 PM »
this message came up when I was doing a search... then went away not sure what it means could you fill me in please.

some things I have considered the site I was at had an issue the system itself had an issue... I am on a shared home internet connection that I continually get messages stating it is not secure it was suggested to me that a vpn would be a cure for this... privacy issue.  Still I feel my computer is not secure... various ongoing issues... now if somebody who has access to the same internet connection mess with my computer even if I have a vpn?
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: VPN message something is not right more vpn questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 05:40:23 PM »
@sandy55,
It is not very clear from your post what exactly you are seeing.
I could guess that it is an Avast pop-up saying your connection is not secure and thereby advertising paid for Avast VPN product as a solution.
Can you state what version of Avast and whether it is a paid or free version.
Also a screen shot would help describe the issue, but may not be possible if a pop-up.   

Offline sandy55

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 06:06:35 PM »
It was awhile ago now my fault I was not up to dealing with the computer.  I have a shared living arrangement internet is included in my rent.  I get messages from avast saying the internet connection is not secure or not properly set up... so it is not secure.  VPN was to solve that issue.  I had one pop up from the vpn stating there was a security issue.  I have other issues ... curser won't move ... comes to mind.  I am just curious if a person other renters... lets say who share this connection... could mess around with my computer.  I have paid for the avast paid for vpn. 
win 8.1 (64) avast version 18.5.2342(build) 18.5.3931.0 apparently this is Premier version according to an internet search on that version number above.. tho it does not state this in about or any other place on my computer...

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 06:51:10 PM »
@sandy55,
OK you have now declared you have a paid version of Avast AV. Is your VPN also Avast or another provider?
The VPN should provide you with a secure pipe to the internet over your shared network and avoid possibility of local snooping.
If you have Avast Firewall in use with your paid version, as you are on a shared network, then you probably need to have that set to "Public". That setting is more restrictive (e.g. for use on public wifi etc), so you may encounter more website connection problems with this setting rather than the less restrictive "Private" setting suggested for most home users.
Also what Windows operating system are you using e.g. Win10 2004 or other.

Without a screenshot of problem you are seeing, then it is difficult to understand your problem or problems and to help you.
You can attach your screenshot files using the "Attachments and other options" link under the text box.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 06:09:05 PM »
I am using windows 8 this computer came with windows 10 but I could not figure it out so a had a relative put 8 on it as it was suppose to be more like xp that I had been use to. I have avast vpn I never leave my computer on when I go out.  I have changed back and forth from private to public I will double check to make sure avast is set to public .. I am sorry I don't know how to do a screen shot that should give you a hint to what you are dealing with.. they did not teach computers when I went to school, the little I know is self taught.

Offline sandy55

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 06:13:41 PM »
I just checked firewall is set to public

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 06:28:31 PM »
With Avast VPN and Avast Firewall set to public you should be well protected.
However, your signature states that you are using an old version (v18) of Avast which people with WinXP/Vista still use.
Is that true, or maybe your signatre is out of date?

If true, what is your reason for not using the latest Avast v20.5 which is suitable for Win8 and Win10.

You can add a screenshot file to your post, by clicking the "Attachments and other options" link under the reply text box.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2020, 06:36:47 PM »
I just checked firewall is set to public

This is a more strict set of rules, that might have been the issue, I can't say for sure as I don't use the Avast Firewall.

Try setting it to Private and see if that resolves the problem (I don't know if you may need to reboot for the settings to take effect).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline sandy55

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 12:40:58 AM »
I had to remove and reinstall avast
I am leaving the firewall setting to public for now.